Losing chicks

cpennell

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 22, 2015
On Oct 30 I bought 12 new chicks from the feed store. The were fine and growng well. I went away for 5 days and left a friend to care for and feed them. I returned to find 2 dead. I have them in about 30 by 30 by 36 inch high cage. I had been putting in fresh water and newspaper every other day. I don't think my friend ever changed the paper, because the cage was very dirty when i returned. One of them looks sick now. What could have caused the problem? Besides cleaning, what else should i do to care of the rest of my chicks?

On Oct 30 I bought 12 new chicks from the feed store. The were fine and growng well. I went away for 5 days and left a friend to care for and feed them. I returned to find 2 dead. I have them in about 30 by 30 by 36 inch high cage. I had been putting in fresh water and newspaper every other day. I don't think my friend ever changed the paper, because the cage was very dirty when i returned. One of them looks sick now. What could have caused the problem? Besides cleaning, what else should i do to care of the rest of my chicks?
Sounds like you have the in a dog crate. Ok, get rid of the newspaper. It holds moisture which breeds bacteria. Put something the chicks won't eat around the 1st 6-8 inches of height of the perimeter of the cage. Now go to Tractor Supply and get the white bale of pine ( hardwood) shavings. Put 2-3 inches of shavings in the bottom of the crate. Put the feeder and waterer on risers so the chicks do not kick chips into them.
Raising chicks on slick newspaper can cause leg problems. Glad you seem to have gotten the change going to be made before this gets a chance to happen.
Best,
Karen

Thanks. The sick one and 2 more died. I replaced tbe paper with shavings. Will check on them in the morning before work

Back
Top Bottom