Losing Draft Posts

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by thaiturkey, Jan 27, 2013.

1. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    An irritating problem has been bothering me for some time and I can't work out what's causing it.

Quite often, as I type a post, the page changes without warning and, as often as not, I lose what I have typed. Perhaps I'm depressing more than one key at a time and accidentally hitting a magic combination that back-pages.

I don't have the same problem on any other community forum so perhaps it something peculiar to the BYC software.

I use a Mac.

Advice would be welcome, please.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    One thing you need to watch for. Make sure the page is fully loaded before you start typing a reply. BYC is a fairly bulky site when compared to some other small forums out there and at times with a slower connection if you start typing too early the reply section will reset. I have had it happen to me on this forum and a number of other large forums I frequent.

1 person likes this.
  3. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Many thanks for your prompt reply.

That's probably what is happening. The internet here can be slow when we are linked to overseas servers so it's easy to jump the gun.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    TT, I'm on a Mac too and we also sometimes have slow internet. I've figured out that the last thing that appears on the screen is the header here with the smilies and the fonts etc. So wait until you see that then you'll know you got the works and you can start typing. You can also check right at the bottom of the screen it will say "completed xyz of xxyyzz items" while it's busy loading. What I found sometimes encourages the page to load quicker is when I wiggle the cursor or move it in circles over the screen. I don't know why, but it works!

5. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by