Losing feathers and lethargic

Desimmons524

Chirping
Feb 17, 2020
Connecticut
Hi Jen Delores is losing some feathers on her rump. Underneath the puff of tail feathers. She is about a year old and I know they can molt at this age. She’s also lethargic- eating and drinking very little. She wants to spend her time inside the coop. Today she did venture with the rest of the flock for free ranging but when I put them back into their run she went back in the coop to roost. She’s just not herself and she’s the leader, top of the pecking order. Other than her lethargic state she doesn’t appear to have any breathing issues and there isn’t any discharge from eyes or nose. Unfortunately I can’t find a vet who will treat hens in my area - I’m not sure what to do. Could it be lice or mites? I keep their coop clean but I suppose you never know. Any help would be appreciated.

My first thought was mites/lice .... Check her vent area and under her wings. At night run your hand alone the roost, you'll feel them crawling on your arm and/or you can run a white paper towel on the roost to see if it turns 'red' which would be blood from your chickens. IF so, there's a Permethrin Spray concentrate you can pick up at the feed store, follow mixing instructions and spray the coop, roosts, nest boxes and chickens. You can also use Garden and Poultry Dust, dusting under the wing and vent area, shavings and nest boxes. Retreat in 7 - 10 days (eggs hatch).

It's the wild birds that bring them critter around as well as rodents. Keeping your coop clean is a big plus but if they free range or you got lots of critters coming around ... it happens.

My first thought was mites/lice .... Check her vent area and under her wings. At night run your hand alone the roost, you'll feel them crawling on your arm and/or you can run a white paper towel on the roost to see if it turns 'red' which would be blood from your chickens. IF so, there's a Permethrin Spray concentrate you can pick up at the feed store, follow mixing instructions and spray the coop, roosts, nest boxes and chickens. You can also use Garden and Poultry Dust, dusting under the wing and vent area, shavings and nest boxes. Retreat in 7 - 10 days (eggs hatch).

It's the wild birds that bring them critter around as well as rodents. Keeping your coop clean is a big plus but if they free range or you got lots of critters coming around ... it happens.
Thank you so much. I am going to check her for mites tonight and treat the whole flock if I find them - thank you 🙏🏻 I really appreciate it.

In summer heat, flies can lay eggs around the vent, if there are droppings stuck there or if there is an injury or cut somewhere. Look her over well and check for mites and lice as well. Reproductive disorders and crop problems are other common problems that may cause lethargy. Try to get her drinking water, and Poultry NutriDrench can be a good booster.

Thank you… she is drinking a little but not really eating and this morning I noticed she has green diarrhea. She’s moving around the run today - so far more than yesterday - would mites cause green diarrhea? Or is there something else going on?

Back
Top Bottom