Losing feathers, please help

Is it dangerous for them to be molting right now? It’s quite cold where we are; 24 degrees right now
They might just be going through a partial molt as they still look fairly well-feathered to me, but if they keep losing feathers and become half-naked, do you have any heat source you could provide them? We heat our coop to 35/40F so at that temp I don't worry when they're practically naked.

They might just be going through a partial molt as they still look fairly well-feathered to me, but if they keep losing feathers and become half-naked, do you have any heat source you could provide them? We heat our coop to 35/40F so at that temp I don't worry when they're practically naked.
If they lose a lot from this molt, we would get a hear source for them. As of right now, we don’t have one, but we could easily purchase one.

Is it dangerous for them to be molting right now? It’s quite cold where we are; 24 degrees right now
It's not the best time of year for it but it happens. Protection from wind is a good idea and making sure she's tucked in with friends at night, but otherwise she looks fluffy enough that should be ok unless she starts to have large areas of exposed skin where she would lose heat faster (slower molts usually stay fluffier, while faster means more naked areas and less insulated as a result). One of my hens paused her molt for some reason just after starting back in Nov, and she's decided to resume it now of all times she could have picked. My area's lows have been down to 5F this past week; I make sure she sleeps tucked rightly between two fluffy friends and she's been fine so far. I also put a hen saddle on her when a "bald" (mostly pin feathers) area started forming on her back and that was all she needed to run around happily in the grand 10-13F daytime high temperatures yesterday.

It looks like their being plucked a bit, how big is their coop and what's their diet?
The coop is 7 feet by 8 feet, and the run is 16 feet. There are 10 hens. They eat NatureWise layer pellets, which are 16% protein. They also have some varied treats occasionally, such a handful of scratch, fruits, and veggies.
1705875285541.png

It's not the best time of year for it but it happens. Protection from wind is a good idea and making sure she's tucked in with friends at night, but otherwise she looks fluffy enough that should be ok unless she starts to have large areas of exposed skin where she would lose heat faster (slower molts usually stay fluffier, while faster means more naked areas and less insulated as a result). One of my hens paused her molt for some reason just after starting back in Nov, and she's decided to resume it now of all times she could have picked. My area's lows have been down to 5F this past week; I make sure she sleeps tucked rightly between two fluffy friends and she's been fine so far. I also put a hen saddle on her when a "bald" (mostly pin feathers) area started forming on her back and that was all she needed to run around happily in the grand 10-13F daytime high temperatures yesterday.
The coop is well protected from wind (but dry and well ventilated, of course). If they start to get bald, we will get a heat source for them.

Back
Top Bottom