Losing Feathers w/Scabbing

Ayi

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2022
Our 1 yr old female Black Swedish has a bald neck and light scabbing, bloody pin pricks where the feathers are missing. We don't have any drakes but they still jump atop each other and I thought this was a result of too much of that. But she is dropping tons of feathers, too, like if you pick her up a dozen at a time. This makes me concerned about mites? We have never had this in 6 years of ducks. Recently added new sand to the pen 10 days ago, it isn't crushed quartz but real sand and bits of rock. Acv in their pool (2 T) a day, oregano and fresh eggs daily supplements (probiotics, flax, sea kelp, garlic with brewers yeast). I just changed their supplements to the fresh eggs daily line about 3 weeks ago. We have 2 geese and 7 babies ready to move out with our 17 duck flock and I'm concerned about contagion 🥺🥺🥺 Can I treat her with something at home? We have one vet in the area taking ducks and he admitted to not knowing much about poultry. Saw him a few months ago for another problem, but it was pretty much pointless.

Pics 😘

Attachments

• 20230717_094418.jpg
    20230717_094418.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230717_094409.jpg
    20230717_094409.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230717_094359.jpg
    20230717_094359.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230717_094351.jpg
    20230717_094351.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 13
She looks to be molting have you looked her over real good for mites? they will be very tiny like pepper. When my chickens had mites when I picked them up they got on me, Easy to get them off though by taking a shower. I used poultry dust to get them off my chickens and cleaned out their coop and sprayed down everything with neem oil mixed hot water [very safe] My ducks were in the same coop and had none I think water and swimming kept them from having them.

She looks to be molting have you looked her over real good for mites? they will be very tiny like pepper. When my chickens had mites when I picked them up they got on me, Easy to get them off though by taking a shower. I used poultry dust to get them off my chickens and cleaned out their coop and sprayed down everything with neem oil mixed hot water [very safe] My ducks were in the same coop and had none I think water and swimming kept them from having it seems
I've never used poultry dust! Is it this? I don't have any on hand but will try to get asap. I only have diatomaceous earth. Thank you SO SO much, my 5 boys are very worried. I can get the neem, but unsure of ratio of oil to water (I'm a paranoid duck mama). ❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_104419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_104419_Chrome.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 10
https://animals.mom.com/natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-mites-in-chickens-12508554.html
this is for treating the coop, use the powder on the ducks. When I treated my chickens I used a paper bag put the dust down into it then put the chicken down in feet first until only the head was out then I use my hand to close up the bag around the neck, held the bag from underneath and gently shook the bag making sure to cover the whole bird. For the head I put dust on my fingers and rubbed over the head and around the face as good as I could without getting it in their eye and nares.

There is also a product called Poultry protector which is safe to use it comes in a spray.
DE will not kill mites or lice. and it's not safe to inhale either.

Did you check her over real good for mites?

Thank you again for saving me with all the info in this crisis! We used the poultry dust and I'm keeping an eye on her, I had the boys take the ducks for a long walk in the woods because there is some really deep water, better than their swimming pool. We treated her and will neem treat their duck shed when the neem arrives! ❤️

When spraying out the coop make sure to do it early in the day so it all dries. You’ll have to take all the old bedding out and carry it off if you think there are mites. If your ducks I are like mine the pool is their second home so hopefully if they can have access to water daily for bathing if they have mites they will drown.

Back
Top Bottom