Losing Feathers

Molt can cause paleness sometimes too. Are any of them laying? Hens that are off laying for the winter (shorter daylight hours) will sometimes get paler. With ex-bats who have lived in confinement, it can take a while for them to look better and healthier. You may want to switch to a flock raiser or all flock type feed that will be in the 18% protein range, and offer oyster shell in a separate feeder all the time for those that need it. The higher protein may help with feather growth, which takes a lot of protein.

Molt can cause paleness sometimes too. Are any of them laying? Hens that are off laying for the winter (shorter daylight hours) will sometimes get paler. With ex-bats who have lived in confinement, it can take a while for them to look better and healthier. You may want to switch to a flock raiser or all flock type feed that will be in the 18% protein range, and offer oyster shell in a separate feeder all the time for those that need it. The higher protein may help with feather growth, which takes a lot of protein.
They are laying, it has been on off these past few days but I put that to weather (they normally don’t lay with bad weather). I know it takes a while for bats to recover but I just found it peculiar that she suddenly started losing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom