1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Losing feathers.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FosterThePeople, Dec 28, 2011.

1. FosterThePeople

FosterThePeople New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Hello,
    One of my hens has recently lost almost all of her feathers except on her head and a few here and there. She isn't being pecked or harassed by any of my other hens, she just seems to be losing her feathers. She eats, and is acting perfectly normal. All that is left are the little, quill-like ends of the feathers, and the little bit of feather sticking out of them. I'm not sure if this is new feathers growing in or just the end of the feather.

Also I just noticed today that one of my other hens has a small patch of missing feather/the spiky ends of the feathers on her chest. Could anyone please tell me whats going on or give me advice on what to do.

Thank you.

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Can you get you ten posts and add pictures?

3. Angelique

Angelique Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Florida
    Could she possibly be molting?

4. FosterThePeople

FosterThePeople New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    I'll post them in just a second, my internet is being slow...

5. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

The little feathers are new feathers. Could she have gotten stuck somewhere and pulled out feathers?

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. FosterThePeople

FosterThePeople New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    My other hens were being nosy and pecking my camera while I was taking pics, they even knocked over their feeder -_-

Anyway, here is the first hen I was talking about.

[​IMG]

I'll post more in a second.

8. FosterThePeople

FosterThePeople New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    I figured molting, but it's the middle of winter, and only one chicken is losing feathers.
    Could it be? Well, I have a heater in the coop, so she can stay warm.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:Yes, this is typically the time of year that chickens molt, for some strange reason. How old are they? Is she a different age than your other chickens? I can't see the picture you posted, btw.

10. FosterThePeople

FosterThePeople New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Oh, ok, well that's strange, my chickens have always molted around September and March-ish. They never have molted this early. She is the same age, and the picture did look like molting. I'll see if I can fix it. But anyway, thank you! I was starting to worry something was off, but I guess they are just being early birds this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by