Losing feathers

Having handled everything unruly from monitor lizards to birds and fish I know the feeling to wanna leave well enough alone if they don't want to be handled... I've been bit by more animals then I have shaken hands with humans I think. And they may very well never get used to it completely but at least you'll be able to tell when something happens. And ducks live around a decade... Believe me... At some point in the next decade you'll be glad you handled your ducks regularly. :3

My Campbells are 11 weeks now and started to moult again around a week ago. I'm new to duck ownership too so its good to hear they are doing normal things. I too am looking out for the drake feather, I have 2 Campbells, one I'm confident is a female as she loudly quacks most of the time and if I upset her she is really loud. The other one does quack but not so often or so loudly,he/ she 'peeps' and squeeks at me most of the time but as she is far more confident than the other and actually seems to enjoy being picked up I'm not sure whether her lack of quacking indicates she is a boy or just she's so chilled out she makes less of a noise than the other one. She does quack but mainly when I get home, leave them or peas are involved!

Wow, now I feel like a most negligent duck mom.
sad.png
I do understand what you all are saying about handling my ducks. I had already realized, that the day would come when it would be important to pick them up, whether they like it or not. Now I wish so much I had handled them more when they were tiny. I think I was just a bit overwhelmed with how quickly they outgrew the brooder setup I had, and the person who was building their outside home was moving so slowly and kept revising my idea of how to build the thing. It was a nightmare! Yes, I should never have gotten them before everything was completely ready, but then I probably still would not have them. Anyway, I guess all I can do now is continue to work with them. I am with them every day, sometimes just watching to learn 'what ducks do', helping them find slugs and other goodies, give them treats out of my hand, talk to them, etc. All I can think to do in addition, is to begin reaching out to them to see if I can at least touch/pet them, and progress from there. I wish I had known how important this is when I started.

What about once a week- you go into their coop at their bedtime with treats. Sit with them, talk to them, offer them treats and start holding one or 2 each session- very briefly. It might take you a couple weeks to get through all 4 of them, but after a few months you will have handled each one a half a dozen times. They get treats, you get to work up to being close to them and they start to see this special time as a time for one on one and treats. I have 14 ducks and it gets overwhelming sometimes when I have to do this- so 4 is a nice number and you can ease right into it. That you care enough to ask questions, take advice or suggestions- says you are not bad duck mom but a good one. Keep up the good work! :D

Wow, now I feel like a most negligent duck mom.
sad.png
I do understand what you all are saying about handling my ducks. I had already realized, that the day would come when it would be important to pick them up, whether they like it or not. Now I wish so much I had handled them more when they were tiny. I think I was just a bit overwhelmed with how quickly they outgrew the brooder setup I had, and the person who was building their outside home was moving so slowly and kept revising my idea of how to build the thing. It was a nightmare! Yes, I should never have gotten them before everything was completely ready, but then I probably still would not have them. Anyway, I guess all I can do now is continue to work with them. I am with them every day, sometimes just watching to learn 'what ducks do', helping them find slugs and other goodies, give them treats out of my hand, talk to them, etc. All I can think to do in addition, is to begin reaching out to them to see if I can at least touch/pet them, and progress from there. I wish I had known how important this is when I started.
Not negligent, learning like every single one of us on this forum. I identify with the rapid growth of the ducklings and not having everything ready (mine arrived a month early, and I had the brooder all set, but no feed or vitamins) and then spring was slow in coming so the ducks lived in the house for three months. Eleven ducks. How did I do it? I think that is when I lost my mind. I haven't missed it much, though.

Ducks are social, and I think as you catch on to their duckie ways, they will accept you and tolerate handling. You should see little Funf and little Sechs when I sneak a pet! They pop like little hedgehogs! Then they will turn around and run up to me and give me "the look." But if need be, I can pick them up, and they will give me the stink eye while I check on them or medicate them.

I picked up and held my ducks several times a day when they were ducklings. They still hate being held. Treats have made no difference. I have to pick up the ladies daily to put them in for the night and the secure duck house has no entrance by which they can waddle in from outside. They still refuse to eat out of my hand. Still hate being picked up. The drakes not so, but they are actually better at being picked up than the girls (and fed by hand). Think the drakes took too it from early on - two especially seemed to like it when I picked them up and talked to.. We have forged a truce on handling - they know they are going to be picked up, and I know they won't like it. I am, and apparently always will be the big ugly human who brings treats and feed and cleans up after them, but it will never be a warm fuzzy relationship. Except of course when something scares them when they are out foraging and the all run for the big ugly human! LOL

After a bout of bumblefoot earlier this year, the feet get checked every couple of days - if not every day. This post is very helpful, as although I pick up the ducks regularly and kind of check them out, now I have a better idea of how to do so!

Duckdom is a continual learning process. I am only 15 months of ducks and learn something new every day. Thank heavens for this forum - its an invaluable source of information and advice for those of us in learning mode! Of course, I suspect learning mode will continue as long as we all have ducks!

I have one female that I kept expecting to be a male based on coloring and quack.....even talked to the feed store about not getting the sexed duck I thought I paid for - lo' and behold, she is now the loudest of the ducks and very much female! My Khaki drakes didn't get drake feathers until 4-5 months old.

Good luck with your ducks and try not to worry too much (ha, takes one to know one - ask my husband - silly duck mom here)!

Back
Top Bottom