Losing hope in Ducks Starting to Lay

Kholts

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
Well seems I may be the victim of just not doing enough research. I waited until the middle of May to get my ducklings and I’m thinking I should have purchased end of March or in April.

It is now the end of September here in Alberta and we are only getting approximately 12hrs of sunlight. My girls are 19 weeks going on 20 weeks and I am losing hope in them starting to lay before spring next year. I was banking on having eggs this fall & winter. I can hear my husband now... “ I’m not feeding these bloody things all winter and not getting anything to show for it.” Though I do not think he will make me get rid of them he will definitely not be pleased.

Haha I don’t know what I’m asking here. I guess do you think there is any hope in them laying in the next month?

What kind are they? Muscovies tend to lay a bit older than the rest. I would keep your fingers crossed and ensure there is enough protein in the feed.

Welsh Harlequin, Blue Swedish, Saxony, appleyard X & Cayuga/Rouen.

They are on a layer feed with a protein of 17% I believe & also free range.

I don't know that I'd expect them to lay until closer to 6 months... they definitely may start laying this winter, but it may not be until after solstice (which is in December), when I have had birds start laying over winter usually their egg laying isn't entirely regular either, maybe 2-3 eggs a week vs. 6-7, but they do still do it. Don't give up hope yet. My KCs started laying in November for the first time last year, I've had birds start in Dec, Jan, and Feb as well, so really anything goes!

I can hear my husband now... “ I’m not feeding these bloody things all winter and not getting anything to show for it.” Though I do not think he will make me get rid of them he will definitely not be pleased.

Keep the ducks. They are definitely worth waiting for, but maybe see if you can exchange your husband for another model. Haha! Just kidding. :D

Back
Top Bottom