Losing hope with chicks that hate me 😣

Thank you! Rhode Island Reds where our first and I love them but we wanted to branch out this year and try some new breeds. It might have backfired on us, so thank you for suggesting a friendlier breed.

I had some Silver Grey Dorking's before too. They were too friendly for me though, and were always under my feet. The hen's would come running and then squat by the feet and wouldn't move. I rehomed them.

Chickens have different personalities and tolerance levels just like people....except...they aren't people, they are animals driven by deeply imbedded instincts. May I encourage you to adhere to the advice given above and accept they don't hate you they fear you...and not you really....just ANYthing unexpected in their environment. Totally different concept.

Chickens eat, drink, scratch, poop, lay. They have very little understanding of our world. What they do understand is their internal instincts which means run away at the first sign of any unexpected movement as it poses danger. Some birds are simply flightier than others. Some breeds are flightier than others. You've chosen (may I presume feed store) breeds that have been bred for egg color and production NOT temperament. (You also lucked out with the RIRs....which are not generally known for friendlieness).

You can continue to do what you are doing with this batch to help them remain calm. I do believe they will improve in time as they lose some of their skittishness that is natural to little chick survival. The treat bucket is the way to their little greedy hearts. I'm sure in time they will be happy to run to you freely at the shake of the treat bucket. That is likely the best their little avarice hearts can muster.

Or you can turn to breeder quality birds with breeds that are known to be extremely docile: Bantam Cochins are very sweet, Salmon Favorelles too, many Silkies (though good broody girls can be quite snotty when they are on the nest).

Also, you may wish to handle the small chicks a bit less when you get a new batch. There is a balance to interacting and over acting to the point of causing distress in the young chick. Running to you for the treat to work up to taking it from your hand is the most you may get from them comfortably. Avoid picking up and handling which can cause huge fear and stress. In time, those who are comfortable will hop up onto a knee for more attention. Then you can know that is appropriate for that bird.

But remember, chickens are not like kittens or dogs. Most simply are not lap pets. Some may become quite charming, but most are perfectly content scratching, pecking, laying about in the sun, and being chickens.

My thoughts
LofMc

First time chicken owner here - I can relate. I got a first batch of three - researched for calm but good layers. Raised them for eight weeks in a brooder in my office so they were used to my voice. Tried to interact with them. Now they’re 12 weeks and in their coop - they will come out and eat grass in their pen when I’m with them, but if I slowly try to pet them, they trot off (with a squawk first). If I pick them up, they don’t struggle too much but they aren’t happy with it. Pretty much looking around so when I put them down they can run away.

I‘m hopeful with the comment about them calming down when they start laying. On one hand, if anything happened to one / all, I wouldn’t be horribly sad. But on the other, I wanted some chickens as pets that also happened to lay delicious eggs. Fingers crossed!

I am sorry. :( Mine are around your age, they just turned 5 weeks. Mine are still in the brooder and it is on the floor but I sit on the floor and open the door (it is a dog crate that has cardboard around the bottom edge and HW cloth around the whole thing) They jump up on the cardboard that is at the door. with some I can reach in and pet them, or pick them up etc. Some I can put my arm up to them and they will climb out on it..... But I do have a few that just started to jump up there, before that they would stay far away and anytime I went near them would run screaming. I let them just sit there (there is mainly one that was the worst), in this last week they started to jump down to us sometimes and the really bad one will at least let me touch her now, she will still make noise but nothing like what she used to do. I say just sit there and basically ignore them but sit where they can get to you. I think they will eventually come around.
Thank you for sharing. I guess I will be be doing a lot of ignoring for the next little bit... and hoping for the best of course!

Chickens have different personalities and tolerance levels just like people....except...they aren't people, they are animals driven by deeply imbedded instincts. May I encourage you to adhere to the advice given above and accept they don't hate you they fear you...and not you really....just ANYthing unexpected in their environment. Totally different concept.

Chickens eat, drink, scratch, poop, lay. They have very little understanding of our world. What they do understand is their internal instincts which means run away at the first sign of any unexpected movement as it poses danger. Some birds are simply flightier than others. Some breeds are flightier than others. You've chosen (may I presume feed store) breeds that have been bred for egg color and production NOT temperament. (You also lucked out with the RIRs....which are not generally known for friendlieness).

You can continue to do what you are doing with this batch to help them remain calm. I do believe they will improve in time as they lose some of their skittishness that is natural to little chick survival. The treat bucket is the way to their little greedy hearts. I'm sure in time they will be happy to run to you freely at the shake of the treat bucket. That is likely the best their little avarice hearts can muster.

Or you can turn to breeder quality birds with breeds that are known to be extremely docile: Bantam Cochins are very sweet, Salmon Favorelles too, many Silkies (though good broody girls can be quite snotty when they are on the nest).

Also, you may wish to handle the small chicks a bit less when you get a new batch. There is a balance to interacting and over acting to the point of causing distress in the young chick. Running to you for the treat to work up to taking it from your hand is the most you may get from them comfortably. Avoid picking up and handling which can cause huge fear and stress. In time, those who are comfortable will hop up onto a knee for more attention. Then you can know that is appropriate for that bird.

But remember, chickens are not like kittens or dogs. Most simply are not lap pets. Some may become quite charming, but most are perfectly content scratching, pecking, laying about in the sun, and being chickens.

My thoughts
LofMc
I purchased them from a local homeschool family who sells them, so I had hoped they would be friendlier. Thank you for your thorough reply and reminder. I will try to keep their natural instincts and survival skills at the forefront of my mind when around them.

First time chicken owner here - I can relate. I got a first batch of three - researched for calm but good layers. Raised them for eight weeks in a brooder in my office so they were used to my voice. Tried to interact with them. Now they’re 12 weeks and in their coop - they will come out and eat grass in their pen when I’m with them, but if I slowly try to pet them, they trot off (with a squawk first). If I pick them up, they don’t struggle too much but they aren’t happy with it. Pretty much looking around so when I put them down they can run away.

I‘m hopeful with the comment about them calming down when they start laying. On one hand, if anything happened to one / all, I wouldn’t be horribly sad. But on the other, I wanted some chickens as pets that also happened to lay delicious eggs. Fingers crossed!
Wishing you the best with yours as well!

Were they any friendlier when they were day-olds? My limited experience has shown that once they can flutter a bit, they wanted to practice that, and run away from you. They got better again later, and definitely a month or so after they start laying.
I really can't remember. Seems like they've been this way the whole time. I knew little chicks were pretty skiddish so I assumed after a week or two they would get better, but nothing changed or perhaps got worse.

Most everyone's advice says I should presently ignore them while occassionally offering treats...I will, but boy is that hard when there is a precious ball of fluff around you at every angle

Excellent advice on here about letting nature take its course. I have never been one to handle my chickens a great deal. I pay close attention to their daily habits and if one begins acting off kilter or out of sorts I will investigate further. Otherwise, I let chickens be chickens.

Back
Top Bottom