1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

losing humidity and only 2 pips so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HeatherFeather, Jan 25, 2013.

1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    I'm using a hovabator still air for the first time. I have 2 eggs out of 46 which have just pipped. It has been in lockdown for 3.5 days already; they are hatching late, if at all, due to chilling. I don't have a hygrometer, am just using the recommended method of filling the troughs with water. But it seems that a few troughs are dry or close to it now, as it has been a few days.

Previously, both windows had condensation on them, now one is dry and one just has a bit.

What should I do? I am scared to open it up. Can I pipe water from my mouth through a straw in a vent hole to refill the troughs?

2. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    I should mention that the humidity in the surrounding room has likely gone down as well, as we heat with wood- we generally keep a big pot of water boiling on the stove, but our pipes froze and we are on limited consumption til it thaws. So no pot on the stove.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Thanks Sally. I will read the articles after the kids go to bed tonight. I haven't pulled the red vent plugs yet, as I am following the hovabator instructions which say to pull them after hatching. I *did* initially pull them the first day of lockdown, after reading something on here...plus that was the really cold day, and I was having a very hard time bringing the temp back up in the bator. After re-reading GQFs instructions, I reinserted them.

The one egg has been pipped for maybe 3 hours and the other one a little over an hour.

Thank you so much for all your insight. I love so much how online communities help people out this way. (I have helped many back in my aquarium days :) )

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Good but I would AT LEAST have one open, the entire hatch. you will understand more when you read..... After my first hatch my bator paperwork was thrown out the door and I NEVER EVER go by its thermos and hygro. LOL

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  6. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Ok, yes those are the articles i had read earlier. i really do not want to do an assisted hatch :( i hope it won't come to that.

So, I take out one vent plug, and get up in the night to feed the fire....but how do i get more humidity inside the bator? I am inclined to put a straw down the vent into the troughs, and put water in my mouth and push it through the straw....but i don't want to mess things up with 'mouth bacteria' or anything. is this a good or bad idea?

7. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Ok, I did it, I piped in water with a straw, from my mouth. The only syringes in the house are wee little 1cc for giving shots to lambs/kids. I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide first...lets hope for the best. pulled one plug, and have added an extra wool sweater around the outside, not constricting any holes of course. (i've had a foam camping matress and 2 seeding heat mats around the bator the whole time as well to keep the temp up, our house is just too old and cold) 6 pips now.

8. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    Good to add water. They can get shrink wrapped :/ just watch when they emerge from the shells how they look. Wet and gooey -too much water, struggle to emerge and very dry-not enough

9. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    Keep us posted!

10. Rockashelle

Rockashelle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    That's creative! Sometimes, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do! Rooting for ya!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by