Losing LOTS of feathers, sickly

larakb

Hatching
Nov 19, 2023
Hi, all. I am relatively new to chicken keeping and could use help. I noticed my 2 YO barred rock was losing some feathers but yesterday realized it's really bad - she has lost all feathers around her vent and underside, and is some at the back her neck. As of yesterday she is walking funny - it seems painful - and looks ill. Her vent had some yellow paste coming out. I don't know if it's mites, vent gleet or something else. We soaked her in epsom salt which seemed to give her some temporary relief but I am not sure how to treat since unsure the cause. Hoping to get to the vet tomorrow but she is not doing well. Any and all help is appreciated. I'm very concerned.

Attachments

• IMG_7633.jpg
    IMG_7633.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7631.jpg
    IMG_7631.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7630.jpg
    IMG_7630.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7626.jpg
    IMG_7626.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7623.jpg
    IMG_7623.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 13
Based on the fact she has new feathers growing in (the blue spikes), it seems to me like she’s just having a very bad molt. BUT! I don’t think the yellow coming out of her vent is normal so there could definitely be something else going on besides the molt. But I think it’s both aka a molt AND something else going on. Hope you can figure it out!

Molting for some hens is fraught with complications. At best, molt draws down on protein in the process of building new feathers, but because it also limits hormones, it can create egg laying issues. The yellow "paste" from the vent may be egg yolk from a collapsed egg. This can be life threatening if she can't expel the egg remains.

Give her one whole calcium tablet with D3. Get it where they sell people vitamins. Don't wait. This could save her life by encouraging contractions that will help get the remains out. Since it's possible the egg yolk has broken inside, she will need an antibiotic to treat bacteria growing in the yolk. Left untreated, the infection will kill eventually. If you have a leftover antibiotic for a family member, it would probably work.

Besides the calcium, give her a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar added as her only water source. Install her in a crate with the water and her regular food or some cooked egg. Place her in a quiet, dim area and leave her alone so as to minimize her stress.

It appears she has extensive bruising on her legs. This can be painful. When I see this on one of my chickens, it's evidence she may be having trouble using a high perch.

Back
Top Bottom