Losing my mind on coop/run conflicting info

This is good to know! I'm in southern CO which is much like northern NM in terms of things that do and don't grow as well as soil and weather. (I can't believe today's rain that came out of the south!) I like to throw what I can in the run. Perhaps I will work harder on building up something and see how it goes.
I'm actually way down south, 30 miles north of Mexico, so you should have a much easier time getting things to grow.

I also encourage native wildflowers and anything wild that doesn't misbehave (I'm looking at you, goatheads) using them after frost to help build my soil.

My goal is having the whole system be self sufficient and conserve water. It's amazing how much has changed in less than 2 years. BTW, sunflowers produce a lot of biomass and of course they're really easy to grow.

Don't stress it too much. Figure out what works for you and your birds. As big as this site is you are going to find some conflicting info. Some people are bound to have success where others have had failure. Your birds will teach you and the more you work with them the more you'll learn.
Take advice from anyone person here and it might not work for you but it probably did for them. Within our collective wisdom, though, will be tidbits that will work for you.
I myself have recently started changing the way my coops are layed out because my birds taught me that I didn't have a clue and it'd work better this other way.
Good luck to you and your birds. I do wish y'all the best.
P.S. I use straw and I've used sand. I like straw better.

Back
Top Bottom