Losing one newborn bunny daily

Strix-Aliana

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
We had 10 bunnies born on Thursday. We are down to 7…soon to be 6. I noticed one was (is) very close to death and decided to intervene. I began giving it kitten milk replacement and bundled it up in a heating pad. It’s resting now… I have no idea if what I’m doing is helping but I don’t understand why we are losing one a day, on average. Seems like every day one begins to look a little lacking of food and then the next day it’s another one.

What could be happening?

I know nothing about bunnies, but maybe answering some questions could help?

What is their setup? Are they living with a mama? What do you feed them?

I'm so sorry for all your losses. I hope someone will come along that can help you more. :hugs

We had 10 bunnies born on Thursday. We are down to 7…soon to be 6. I noticed one was (is) very close to death and decided to intervene. I began giving it kitten milk replacement and bundled it up in a heating pad. It’s resting now… I have no idea if what I’m doing is helping but I don’t understand why we are losing one a day, on average. Seems like every day one begins to look a little lacking of food and then the next day it’s another one.

What could be happening?
What breed? Have you picked up the mom and looked at her nipples? Kitten milk is a very poor replacement for rabbit milk, any dairy from cows eventually kills them in my experience. I always use goat colostrum, karo syrup, bone meal, and an egg yolk. Rabbit milk is extremely rich in minerals and fat, you'll need to obtain cecotropes as soon as they open their eyes as well.
The best thing for them is mommas milk, nothing comes close. What is she eating? Does she have milk?

What breed? Have you picked up the mom and looked at her nipples? Kitten milk is a very poor replacement for rabbit milk, any dairy from cows eventually kills them in my experience. I always use goat colostrum, karo syrup, bone meal, and an egg yolk. Rabbit milk is extremely rich in minerals and fat, you'll need to obtain cecotropes as soon as they open their eyes as well.
The best thing for them is mommas milk, nothing comes close. What is she eating? Does she have milk?
I know mamas milk is best but every website I’ve read states to use KMR or raw goat milk. I don’t know how to obtain raw goat milk or colostrum 🤦🏻‍♀️

I know nothing about bunnies, but maybe answering some questions could help?

What is their setup? Are they living with a mama? What do you feed them?

I'm so sorry for all your losses. I hope someone will come along that can help you more. :hugs
They are living with mama. I raised the mama in an outdoor bunny sanctuary but it’s still too cold at night here, so I have her in our spare bathroom. Babies are inside of a little box with her fur covering them.

I know mamas milk is best but every website I’ve read states to use KMR or raw goat milk. I don’t know how to obtain raw goat milk or colostrum 🤦🏻‍♀️
I get it, I used to live in the city when I first raised rabbits and I had no goats. KMR might keep them alive but they could develope some nasty diarrhea.

She is eating rabbit pellets. Before I brought her from outside, she foraged on plants as well as eating pellets.
I have felt her belly and I feel her swollen nipples. But she won’t let me pick her up ever since she gave birth. I don’t to stress her to the point of not nursing any babies, so I haven’t pushed the issue.

Back
Top Bottom