Losing weight?

divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
I didn't know where to post this but I have a hen, Shadow, who is literally scared of her own shadow. She runs away anytime anyone goes near her. I've noticed she's been losing weight and when I give her food out of my hands she pecks at it like she's starving. She has no disease symltoms. Any advice or theories?
I also have another hen who seems to be anxious. She has pecked her tail and hasn't had any tail feathers for at least a year. I've noticed that she pecks herself until she bleeds and when I tell at her to stop, she stops then pecks one of the other members of her flock. Any advice on this as well?

I didn't know where to post this but I have a hen, Shadow, who is literally scared of her own shadow. She runs away anytime anyone goes near her. I've noticed she's been losing weight and when I give her food out of my hands she pecks at it like she's starving. She has no disease symltoms. Any advice or theories?
I also have another hen who seems to be anxious. She has pecked her tail and hasn't had any tail feathers for at least a year. I've noticed that she pecks herself until she bleeds and when I tell at her to stop, she stops then pecks one of the other members of her flock. Any advice on this as well?
Can you post some photos - of the one that is scared/losing weight and of the other that picks at herself?

How much space do you have for how many chickens? (sqft of coop/run)
What do you feed, including treats?
You can try adding another feed station to see if that helps with your scared one.

The one that picks at herself - check for lice/mites. If she is picking out her feathers, picking at her skin until she bleeds, she may have Depluming (feather) mites, these can not be seen, they live in the shaft of the feathers and would require a systemic treatment like Ivermectin.

Back
Top Bottom