Loss of appetite and Lethargy

Well, sadly, I believe this is going to be our little hen's last night.
hit.gif
The other day, she was a little more perky and walking around a little more. Last night, she backtracked a bit and began sitting on her hocks and reversing every now and then, trying to catch balance. Today, I found her backed into a corner, unable to sit or lay properly. She's wheezing, her nostrils are plugged up, and she won't use her legs at all. When she does, she pushes herself over backwards. I also noticed she tried what looked like to swallow or something, seemingly on her own tongue.
hu.gif

Okay, so surprisingly enough, our little hen is still alive. I have been feeding her 40cc hand-feeding formula with a tube and 15cc Corid water. I gave her a warm bath the other day, she stunk. It seems to perk her up a bit, she was traveling around our spare bathroom. But, the last two days, she seems to have a new symptom. Her head is steadily moving to the side, not turning but actually moving off-center. I will post a pic of this development soon.

It's hard to tell from the picture but she may have wry neck. You will need to check out these links to make sure, but treatment is to keep quite in isolation, and give vitamins with selenium. Vitamins such as Nutridrench for poultry and Pure Cell already contain selenium, as well as B1 and E which are needed for wry neck. Prednisone is also sometimes used. I'm glad she is still alive, but sorry about the new development. Here are the links:
http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

I suspected wry neck in the beginning. Will Poultry Drench have all I need or do I need to get separate products to cover everything she needs? I am going to need liquid form, though. I should have taken the picture from the back, her head is almost parallel (past 45 degrees) with the ground right now.

Read the brown egg blue egg link for dosages of vitamin E, thiamine (B1), and selenium, then compare it with your vitamin Poulrty Drench.

Photo update. When I find after long periods of solitude, her head is twisted more - almost to full upside down. She only sits or stands normal after I have fed and watered her (via feeding tube). Otherwise, she is propping herself on objects or laying in odd positions.

Well, she hasn't died yet... but, hasn't gotten past just standing around with her head cocked sideways either. She seems more stable on her feet now and her beak is going to need trimmed. She is still needing tube fed and has decided that when its time to eat that maybe if she turns her head upside down, the tube might not find its way down her throat...
roll.png
I have dissolved two Nature's Way Multivitamin for Her 50+ (no iron) in 32oz water; used that water to mix up 55cc hand-feeding formula; and a good squeeze of NutriDrench. It seems to have brought her head to the perpendicular arrangement (45 degrees, instead of 180 to the ground).

Back
Top Bottom