Loss of Tail feathers

Pete

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Hi, I'm new to your forum and to raising chickens. I only have one chicken and she is a Blue Polish. My question is, is it normal for all the tail feathers fall out? Thanks.

Hey Pete...welcome. Yes, sounds like she may be molting. Nothing to worry about. I have to ask tho...just ONE lonely little chicken?? Chickens are flock animals....she really needs a friend! ( Yes, my name is Debbie, and I am an enabler)
gig.gif

Thanks for the responses. This site is a great place for those of us who are first time chicken owners. Our Blue Polish found us. We are looking for a husband for her though. We do have three turkeys that were raised from chicks and have been around Farina all that time. People can say animals are stupid, but those turkeys protect her. If she feels threaten she will actually get in the center and the turkeys form a wall around her. Again, thank you for the responses.

Last edited:
This is the first year that Obelisk has lost ALL of her tail feathers at once. So she looks sorta funny with no tail...don't tell her I said that...
Moulting can take a while. If you pick up Farina and look into her feathers, you should see some spiky, waxy looking things among the feathers. Those are the new feathers coming in. That waxy stuff comes off when she preens and it gets scattered everywhere.
We really will need to see pics of Farina also...or you can't join the secret club...

Back
Top Bottom