Lost 1 during the hatch...

littlebanty

Songster
12 Years
Oct 31, 2007
West Melbourne, Florida
My ducks are hatching now....started last night and I have already lost one. It was on the wrong end of the egg when it pipped a hole and I found it face down on the bottom. There is no movement, no peeping, nothing. Just sitting there with the end of his beak out the hole. So far 4 are doing good and on the correct end and 1 has not even pipped a hole but trying his hardest. What should I do with the dead one. Keep it in there til the others are done or toss it now?

gently peel the egg shell from around it hole and see it you sure its dead but try not to peel the sac for if it is alive you could accidentally rip a vesel that is still providing it blood
good luck on your hatch

M.J :

gently peel the egg shell from around it hole and see it you sure its dead but try not to peel the sac for if it is alive you could accidentally rip a vesel that is still providing it blood
good luck on your hatch

I think it already peired the sac because I see the film covering and the shell is off of that. I can feel and see its little beak poking out. Its been about 2 hours since I found it. Since the sac is already broke should I still try to peel the shell?​

you can peel the shell just be gentle with the sac if it is still alive hoping it is and just zonked out

M.J :

you can peel the shell just be gentle with the sac if it is still alive hoping it is and just zonked out

I checked it and Im for sure its gone. I tapped the egg lightly with my nail. And I pushed lightly on his beak and there is absolultly no response....
barnie.gif

I took the dead egg out and opened it up. The duckling was definatly dead. He was fine this morning tapping on the egg. It had a yolk sac attatched to his belly and some green poopy looking stuff towards the back end of him in the fluid. He was definatly on the wrong end. I think he suffocated trying to get out. Was a tiny cutie though.....
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom