Lost 1, Medicate them all???

ive got chicken fever

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Columbia, SC
So yesterday morning I went to feed my small mixed flock and saw my Mille Fleur OEG Bantam Rooster all fluffed up and his comb was slightly floppy. I was able to catch him (which under normal circumstances is quite impossible) and I brought him in, gave him some scrambled eggs and some tetracycline because I could hear weezing when he breathed. I had to leave at 12:30. My DH came home by 4:30 and my Roo was already gone.
sad.png
I am so upset about loosing him.

Well, this morning I go out and his hen some how got out of the run (I swear she was looking for him), I caught her and she is weezing too. Now I have seperated her. What else should I do? She isn't lethargic like my roo was but I know she is sick.

Then, what about the rest of my flock? They are all together and also their pen is right beside the pheasant pen. Should I put tetracycline in the water for everyone?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

So sorry about your little roo, and your hen.

The best thing to do when you have a dead bird is to get it in for a necropsy so you know what you're dealing with. This thread has a link to find your local state vet and they can refer you to where you can get a free or cheap necropsy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40141

The
wheezing can be a number of things - infectious bronchitis, Infectious Laryngotracheitis, Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Here is a link that lists some diseases and includes clinical signs: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

From
what i've been told or learned, Tylan is the best thing to use for a respiratory issue. Don't have dosage information in front of me right now. You can get it in an injectable or one that you put in the water. i am not so good with injections, so would recommend the water. You do want to find out what they have, though, as there are some respiratory issues that will resolve but your birds will be carriers for life.

Back
Top Bottom