Lost 2 babies overnight-UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lac1975, Jun 22, 2011.

1. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    We had a HUGE, but much needed rain last night... 6 inches or more. Well I still hadn't been able to completely rain proof my coop yet; planned on doing more to it this weekend. And because of that I have lost 2 of my little bantams. Unfortunatelt both were the ones my nephew picked out to replace his Punk duck that had gotten killed by a coyote. I have another that is hanging in there but... 3 others were soaked but they have been dried off and seem to be doing okay. Thank you, Lord! The rest have not appearred to be affected by it...yet. Have been working all morning trying get it cleaned up some and about to put some dry bedding down. Then a tarp over at leadt one end, just in case. Then will be busy busy this weekend fixing permanent rain proofing!

R.I.P my little bits
    [​IMG]
    (this was taken about a month ago right after I got them)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. lburress

lburress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Wichita
    So sorry. [​IMG]

3. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    oh my heart goes out to you. Being a bird breeder, I am familiar with dealing with losses from time to time. New babies are so fragile. I know your pain. Hugs to you.

4. lac1975

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    Thank you! I am definitely learning a lot from this "first" experience with chickens (it's been about 20 yrs since I have really been around them). The DOs & DON'Ts, etc.

My little Enda (poss SLW) appears to be doing much better! She has gotten up and walked around a bit, but still going to keep my eyes on her and the other two babies.

5. lac1975

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    2 of my little ones were warmed up and ready to go this morning. They have now been released back into the coop with the others. My little Enda, however, is still doing poorly. She is a little smaller than the others and her feathers aren't quite as thick so she was very cold when I found her. But so far she is still fighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by