Lost 2 chickens this week

BrittanyandLola

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Illinois
One week ago I got 10 new chickens about 7-8 weeks old. They joined my 3 silkies. 2 have since died. One showed no signs of sickness or problems just was gone when I opened the coop. Now this morning I went to let them out and another is dead but yesterday was not acting normal. Sleeping in the coop while the rest were out in the yard. The first was a silkie and 2nd an EE. Any thought? I'm worried about the rest of them.

Last edited:
I would get some Corid (amprollium) and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. That is the most common illness in chickens that age, and symptoms are sleepiness, hunching or puffed up posture, not eating well, and diarrhea sometimes with blood. Dosage is 2 tsp of the Corid Liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Afterward, give them some poultry vitamins and probiotics in their water for a few days. Changing soil for the new ones might have been the cause.

The way I read the post, the chickens disappeared?
There were no symptoms except one being lethargic for one day and then disappeared as well?
That isn't much to go on except predation.

I would get some Corid (amprollium) and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. That is the most common illness in chickens that age, and symptoms are sleepiness, hunching or puffed up posture, not eating well, and diarrhea sometimes with blood. Dosage is 2 tsp of the Corid Liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Afterward, give them some poultry vitamins and probiotics in their water for a few days. Changing soil for the new ones might have been the cause.
i agree

this does sound like it. Thank you very much!

When chickens die in short order with similar symptoms, it is time for lab work, not guesses. Here are your labs so you can send a bird for necropsy.
Illinois Department of Agriculture, Galesburg Animal Disease Laboratory
Animal Disease Lab
2100 S Lake Storey Rd
Galesburg, Illinois 61401
Phone: 309-344-2451 Fax 309-344-7358

University of Illinois Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
2001 S. Lincoln
Urbana, Illinois 61802-6199
Phone: 217-333-2123 Fax 217-244-2439

In the future, please quarantine new birds.
http://www.desu.edu/sites/default/files/u538/QandI_2 pager.pdf

Back
Top Bottom