Lost 2 chicks, 3rd dying...please help!

Yes, the light is off. That's when they huddled together like they did in the picture. They've been drinking. Should I put them outside in the new coop....??? Fresh air and room to move around?

2 more chicks dying, one has the "bubble crop" the other doesnt....wth?

I have to wonder if the large squishy crop has to do with a large intake of water due to the extreme heat. I'd try to get some electrolyte solution in the remaining birds. Do a search on this site and you'll find recipes for homemade electrolyte solution. I'd keep them where they are at room temp because moving them is going to be stressful in and of itself.

I've not heard of this before and am just guessing here. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along with insight.

I am afraid the chicks got dehydrated from being over heated. Their crops probably stopped functioning. Now that the heat has been turned off, they are drinking extra water because of the dehydration. If or when the water can get through the crop, everything should start working again.

Hi,
You need to get energy into these chicks. Get the smallest bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench. It doesn't need to be digested. Absorbs thru the mouth so won't add more problems to the crop. It will give them energy to help them during this crop problem. Excellent emergency nutritional supplement invented by a U.S.cattle breeder. All natural, made under 2 U.S. patents. Measurable in the bloodstream in 30 minutes with 99% utilization. Here; read here: http://www.nutridrench.com I have used these formulas on my collies and poultry for over a decade. Just fantastic stuff!
Instructions for poultry are 1 drop per newborn chick, repeat every 8-10 hours until perky. 2ml per gallon in the water for maintenance. 4 ml per gallon of water for stress situations...if the chicks don't like the taste, back down to 2ml per gallon. My maintenance dose water looks like very weak tea.
Tractor Supply at $6.99 . Or your local feed store. All the other helps still need to be digested. Which these chicks can't do because of the crop problem.
Best,
Karen

Another thought, if the brooder was as hot as it was, could the feed be spoiled by the heat? Maybe someone else can speak to this?

Last edited:
ok,it sounds like a sour crop,try hold the chicks head face down at about 60 degree angle and massage her crop towards the throat to empty crop it will come out like vomit.It may be stinky because it is soured and may have to repeat at different times make sure to do in intervals to give her a chance to breath in between massasges.Then add 1tsp. of baking soda to a gallon of water to reduce the acidity from the sour crop.I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom