Lost 2 chicks, 3rd dying...please help!

They don't look good. Can you get Vital Pak or similar? I'd shut off all heat now. It's so hard to regulate! Kick them outside where the temp change is gradual so long as it's predator proof. They can huddle together and absolutely won't be to chilly! Try feeding scrambled eggs, small ammounts with green food coloring if needed to stimulate appetite. Best of luck!

ETA Could they possibly be eating the shavings? I just read back about the croups...

Last edited:
Quote: Yea, I didn't have a red bulb. I've heard that they're better. I used a natural light type of one so it wasn't too harsh/bright (it didn't put out a pure white like some bulbs do). When I can afford it, I definitely want to have access to "better" (for lack of a better word) supplies for brooding. Right now my coop isn't huge (4ftx8ftx6ft) so I don't really have an area I'm comfortable brooding in, plus I really like watching them. I built an outdoor mini coop for integration and it worked great with my younger chicks when they were old enough to go out. Right now, my neighbor is borrowing it for her injured duck. :)

sorry for the delay,I offer them a heat source at that age at about 80 degrees but make sure they have room to move away from the heat source if wanted.I feel it should be offered at least until they don't use the heat source anymore on their own.This is just the way I do it and works great for me,others may do it different it is what you find that works for you and stay with it.I learned from my Mother over 45 years ago.I hope your little babies are doing better.If you let them they will teach you what they need by giving them the choice.I hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom