Lost 2 ducks and 2 chickens - is this a bobcat print??

loopy12

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
My chickens and ducks overwinter in the hoophouse.
Night before last something dug a big hole under the door and took a (huge pekin) duck and a chicken. I put a huge bag of gravel in the hole to block it but last night it broke through the plastic of the hoophouse and took another duck and another chicken.
I'm thinking bobcat...?

The tracks in the snow and the trail of feathers went to the base of a pine tree (and it presumably took the carcass up the tree).
Does this sound like a bobcat?
These are pictures of some of the prints from last night. The smaller more typical cat shaped prints that I was thinking were front paws - ????
I'm really upset. This happened last summer too. We lost 2 ducks and 6 chickens then. So we are now down to only having 8 out of 16 chickens left and 2 out of 6 ducks.
sad.png

I have relocated them all to the tool shed for tonight. The other female duck is in shock and just shakes and shakes.
hit.gif

Oh, and we are in upstate NY

27692_dsc06560.jpg
27692_dsc06556.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a bobcat to me. I had one killing my fowl. Normally I bait my trap with whole eggs, but that didn`t catch the bobcat. Finally got my pen secure enough so the chicken couldn`t be taken whole. I used the remainder of the carcas to bait the trap and caught the rascal. You do have a live trap, don`t you? Everyone that keeps fowl needs a trap and a gun. When you catch it, kill it. Don`t move it down the road to become someone elses problem. Good luck......Pop

does look like racoon prints to me too. We have a few prowling around here, I am also in NY. Im lucky though as I have had no attacks and I have not really seen them on my property. My advice to you would be to secure your coop! I a plywood mini barn and there is no way anything but like a bear is getting in there. Sorry for your losses.

Last edited:
The tracks are kind of degraded but appear to be showing claw marks. Also, the shape of the rear track does not match anything in the cat family. The toes look to short to be raccoon so, based on your location and the fact that you think it climbed a tree I'm going to hazard a guess at possibly a fisher....

90% sure it's a raccoon. Fisher is a possibility, but I'm not as sure about their tracks. Boxtrap baited with sardines should catch the culprit. It WILL be back.

Cats retrack there claws so rearly do there tracks have claw marks

going to say coon because the size of heel .

Snow really distorts tracks after awhile.

Back
Top Bottom