Lost 2 of my 3 girls this weekend

chrisy3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Monterey Bay, Ca
We lost two of our 3 hens this weekend to a neighbors dog who broke into our backyard through the fence. we are just sick, angry, sad.....in disbelief that the neighbors wont take responsibillity as well..BUT.. my reason for writing is...., what do I do about my survivng girl? She is beat up a bit but eating and drinking and became broody the next day or just traumatized maybe. She is a silky-cross so i know she does get broody but Im wondering how soon or if I should get her some new mates? And should they be young since she is hurt right now as to not be killed in the pecking order?? She checked out good at the Vet so at least one of my girls made it through the nightmare but we are just distraught right now and want to make sure we take care of our chicken.
She is about a year and a half FYI

Thanks for any advice.....AND I have since re-secured my fencing near that neighbors house with screws and 4 ft poultry netting stapled into the fence...I dont think ANYTHING is getting through now!

Chrissy.............
sad.png

Sorry to hear for your loss
hugs.gif

welcome to BYC

I think quiet time would be good for her, some vitamins and electrolytes, a scrambled egg or two. And some friends after a short while. I am not sure if you should get chicks or adults, either way they would have to be separated for a time.

I am thinking docile adults, but they do need to be quarantined.

Thanks for the advice, she is doing much better as the days go on, she just looks beat up missing alot of her feathers.

I gave her a bunch of veggies and scratch and she seems to be ok. What did you mean by quarantine? Meaning baby chicks since they have not been vaccinated?

yes, I am a rookie at this and I want to make sure I keep everyone healthy
smile.png

Chrissy
Still sad in sunny californa

Quote:
Nope! Meaning everyone that you bring into your flock, chicks or chickens. You need to quarantine any chick or chicken that you bring into your flock for a month to make sure that they don't have any diseases or illnesses. You don't need to bring anything into your girl that has already been through so much. I was new to that also and learned the hard way.

Sorry about your other girls.
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your girls. It is so frustrating that people won't keep their dogs contained.

Once your survivor is healed, I think you could introduce other silkies as friends, I've found them to be the most accepting of others. Maybe just one friend at first, so they can bond, then another one or two later.......

again, sorry for your loss......

Welcome to BYC, sorry it was under such cercumstances. You will learn that we are all in the same boat, loosing our flock could be at any moment. But, as long as you gave the girls a good life while it was, you did your job. It doesn't take that kicked in the gut feeling away, concentrate on your girl. Dogs, even our own can turn on a bird at anytime as when they run through the girls, they squeek, cluck and carry on, flapping and flying like a toy. Cats also are notorious to getting after chickens.
Take care, remind your neighbors with photographs what their dogs are capable of and then secure your birds.

I feel bad for you my dogs killed my cockatiels a few years back. Don't blame the dog though it is in their nature to kill little animals. But it is really iresponsible for the neighbor to not take responsibility.

Thank you all so much for the kind words..It really is refreshing to know im not crazy to have cared so much for them
smile.png
.People look at me like.."it was a chicken! and I answer "no...they are my pets". Now buried in a flower garden near the house.

I really do not blame the dog but the people and I have since staple gunned 4ft high 1 inch chicken wire on about 70 feet of my property. The neighbors did bring the dog in while I was working out there, so perhaps they are trying.

Bobby is doing great, eating and drinking and screaming at me to let me know she wants her egg! I am letting her keep this one! Someone suggested to me I get day old chicks and put them under her, but after reading some of the advice I have recieved im guessing thats not a great idea due to disease. I think I will try and find more silky cross hens out here somewhere. BTW, I am in the cental coast area near Monterey California if anyone knows of a source out here.

Thanks again to everyone, what a great group of people!
big_smile.png

Chrissy

Chrisy ~
Sorry about your pets. It's such a shock when this happens.
sad.png

If your hen is broody, I'd give her several eggs to hatch. She'll be a good Mother, which will be less work on your part
smile.png
and there won't be any fighting, until much later, if at all.

Carla

Back
Top Bottom