Lost 2 teenagers RIRs/Need suggestions for a dog!!!

We have a great pyr and a bernese mtn dog- both are great with the flock- but big. A female golden retriever wouldn't be THAT big- and they are great family dogs. You could also try a visla, weim, or german shorthair pointer. They do like the water, but have almost no hair. As long as they are pups when you get them anything can be trained.

Like HappyMtn said, they are big dogs! However, females are rarely over 100 pounds (usually 80-90 lbs.), and males usually stay below 130. They aren't the biggest, however (some St. Bernards weigh in at 250). Pyrs are great dogs, though. Bernese are nice, also (and can be smaller with females 60-85 at times).

Again, choose what's best!

My Border Collie is NOT dependable with my chickens, but I accidentally found something that is working to keep the stray dogs out of my yard. I adopted two Kelpie pups, they live in a dog run next to the coop. They have grown up seeing my chickens and so far
fl.gif
haven't hurt a feather on anyone. But, let something - anything, show up in the yard and these two go nuts. They are only about 5 months old and I am pleasantly surprised by them.

http://www.hnrworkingkelpies.com/SiteMap.html

This is the breeder I got them from. She is also in Texas. Check her out. (Her dogs were featured in Dog Fancy mag one year.)
Tell her Hoppy's mom sent you. :)

ETA: they raise livestock guardian dogs, as well. OOO, She has new pups and some rescues looking for homes on her site!
Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Quote:
idunno.gif
I have never heard of those. Thank you for all your great suggestions. I guess we will definately have a ton of research to do, especially now with all the suggestions you have given us. Thank you so much for all of your input.
love.gif

Be careful with German Shorthairs, they are some of the most amazing bird dogs I have seen! Also very energetic and need tons of training!

Back
Top Bottom