Lost 6 chicks out of 32 all with same symptoms.

rockhill

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Lake Creek, Oregon
We have 2 week old chicks and in the first few days we lost 6. We use large pine shavings in our brooder, the right temperature, we keep the water and feed clean from shavings. The chicks we lost all became listless and vomited mucus within the last few hours of their lives.

We have spoken to many people that have raised chickens and none of them have ever heard of these symptoms and we are concerned about losing our whole flock.
Does anyone know what may have caused this and how to prevent this? We have a chick on it's way out and we are trying to save it.

Thank you,

Is it medicated feed? Do they act sluggish before onset? Is it a clear thick, thin, or black, green stuff coming up from the crop? Did it smell?
I have not had good luck with a brooder full of shavings. I think I'd take them out of the brooder, disinfect it super well and then place the chicks back in on news paper. If there is no sour smell to the vomit, it could be a blockage from swollen shavings. Listen to others above me, I had a little bantam that would only eat the crumbs of the shavings, no food. I honestly do not know why she was eating the shavings, but if you can, give Terramycin, a weak solution of it in their water dishes. Instructions are on the package. See if this perks those babies up. Just a thought.
Good luck and you look at those babies and tell them that is enough special attention!!!
Take care,
Kel

They are too young for scratch for weeks yet. Do they have grit? If not, they could have impacted crops. You didn't mention that, unless I missed it. If you feed scratch, they need grit, but I'd say stop the scratch immediately.

Good to know about the scratch and shavings. Our local grange told us to use it, We didn't put much in but we wont add the scratch until they are older. When our chicks vomited it was clear and bubbly and they had labored breathing towards the end. Not sure if this was the cause but we will definatly stop using it . The pine shavings are large and we have not seen them eating it but that doesn't mean they don't. We will try the newspaper. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
Yes, we are feeding them grit and the others are growing fast just a few that are still small and 1 that is failing to thrive . we just added vitamins and medication to the water in hopes the baby will bounce back.

Back
Top Bottom