Lost a baby- did we do something wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matimeo, Aug 14, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Lost one of our baby chicks today. She was a Delaware, about 1.5 weeks old. We got her two days ago from the feed store where she had been shipped to, probably a week or so earlier. She was doing just great. Took her outside for about 30 mintues this evening (it was probably 80 degrees outside). She was foraging with our other two chicks who are a almost a week younger. She at a rolly polly (sow bug) and who knows what else while foraging. She also ate a carpenter ant the day before.
    I'm wondering if we shouldn't let them run around outside, or if maybe it was something she ate. Right after we came inside this evening, all of the chicks took a nap. But she looked wasted, and when we went out to check later, she was listless and all stretched out. Tried to give her some water with a dropper, but she died a few minutes later. So, she basically went from perfectly fine to dead in less than five hours, with no apparent cause. She wasn't pasted (vent hole wasn't covered).
    Any ideas what may have happened, or should we not let them roam free like that just yet? We're going to go pick up another baby tomorrow and don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks in advance.

M

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    so sorry about loosing her. I let mine in a pen at 2 weeks but I make sure its not to hot or cold but onle for an hour or so. Everyone is different on this. I know people who will not let them out until they are a few months old. I hope someone here can help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by