1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost a Bunny Today :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jules1329, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jules1329

jules1329 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    I lost a lop today. When I went out to check the rabbit hutches this morning, she had burrowed her head into one corner and she was barely alive. I brought her inside to check her over and see if she could be saved. She has no marks on her, no blood and nothing else seemed unusual. She was very thin when she came to live with us, and I've had plenty of food available, but her backbone was still poking out pretty hard.

I wish I knew what happened. Her neutered buck companion has been with her since they were kits -- about five years. I don't know what to do about getting him someone to snuggle with.

Maybe I'm not cut out for bunnies. :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Hopefully, you can find another bunny for your buck soon.

[​IMG]

3. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Not cut out for bunnies! are you kidding! So sorry you lost one of your bunnies, there was probably nothing you could have done, can your boy that has been left on his own be paired up with one of your new Angoras?

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I'm sorry! [​IMG] It sounds like it was out of your control, it's mother nature I guess. [​IMG]

5. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    SO sorry [​IMG] sometimes these things happen, rabbits are very delicate and very good at hiding when they aren't feeling good. [​IMG] What matters is that you care for them and give them the best chance they can have! [​IMG]

6. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for you loss! :( Wonder what it was... :/

7. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    You're right, they are not very robust animals. Once I found a rabbit dead at the back of the cage after missing her for three days: they just manage to hide their illness or injury. Don't give up Juliet, I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So very sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by