Lost a chick overnight, tangled in broody mama's foot feathers

Zemeraire

Songster
Jan 17, 2020
South West Australia
I just lost my first baby chick T-T

I got up and let the chooks out, then checked on broody mama and babies. One of them was tangled in her foot feathers and already dead. The feathers were wrapped tightly around its neck. I am so upset. Is there anything I could have done or can do to prevent this happening again?
Mama is a frizzle, 3 remaining babies are 6 and 5 days old.

I am so sorry for your lost!:(😰😭But i don’t think there was anything you could of done to prevent this from happening.

I just lost my first baby chick T-T

I got up and let the chooks out, then checked on broody mama and babies. One of them was tangled in her foot feathers and already dead. The feathers were wrapped tightly around its neck. I am so upset. Is there anything I could have done or can do to prevent this happening again?
Mama is a frizzle, 3 remaining babies are 6 and 5 days old.
Trim her foot feathers.

similar thing happened to me this morning. mumma is a frizzle and baby is a naked neck (she only has one baby) and is about 5 days old. i went to check on them this morning and saw the mums feathers wrapped around the baby’s wing and her wing was swollen. i cut the feather off baby and got her out and she seems normal and eating but the wing is still swollen and just hanging beside her body (shes not holding the wing up). it’s been over 6 hours and i want to know if her wing will get better and how to prevent it from happening again

similar thing happened to me this morning. mumma is a frizzle and baby is a naked neck (she only has one baby) and is about 5 days old. i went to check on them this morning and saw the mums feathers wrapped around the baby’s wing and her wing was swollen. i cut the feather off baby and got her out and she seems normal and eating but the wing is still swollen and just hanging beside her body (shes not holding the wing up). it’s been over 6 hours and i want to know if her wing will get better and how to prevent it from happening again
update:
the baby is all well now. the swelling in her wing went down and she’s using it normally and seems happy and healthy. i make sure to check several times a day if the baby isn’t tangled and so far everything’s been good.

Back
Top Bottom