Lost a chicken

Lambertvmb

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
South Dakota
sad.png
A sad day for me, I lost a chicken today. She was one of 4 so makes a big difference. Not sure what happened. Was fine this morning when I gave them fresh water and food and this afternoon after collecting eggs she was laying down. Color in her comb was very pale. Brought her in the house and tried to give her electrolytes and she died in about 15 minutes. She will be missed even if just by me.

I am so sorry. That is always so difficult.

We recently lost a hen as well. She was a two year-old leghorn named Otis and though we have around 50 chickens, I still felt sad for her. We believe she is the leghorn who got a prolapse and because of this got an infection inside of her. She has had it for some time but wasn't showing any symptoms. She passed in her sleep while on her perch.
Hens over one or two years of age will often die from problems linked with laying such as internal laying, water belly, infection or becoming egg bound.

I wish the rest of your flock the best of health.

Thank you. She was only 8 months old. And they do have a way of getting into your hearts. Hope your flocks stay healthy and thank you for the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom