Lost a duck Saturday

Radisri

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 29, 2017
Oklahoma
well I went to let my girls out for the day. Open the door to their house and first one coms out. Waiting for my other one to. Nothing. Bend Down to see what’s the matter. Sometimes she would hear me coming and would stay inside till she saw me. Nope she was just laying there. Poot why? Definitely dead. Went to check her over she had some blood on the side of her bill. A bit on the elbow of her wing. So not sure what happened to her. Sister misses her a lot she’s lost. Quacking way more. Poor girls.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost a duck to a fox. Is there any way that a predator could have gotten in? Although, if one did it's unlikely that it would have just killed her and not the other and then left without her. Do you only have one duck left? If so I recommend getting her a new friend, ducks don't do well alone. There's a rehoming forum on here where you can find adult ducks and ducklings in your area, and craigslist is also a good place to find them. I'm actually picking up a duck I found n craigslist in a few hours. You could also consider raising a few ducklings or check out local breeders and farms. :hugs

So sorry!
I have heard stories of raccoons reaching through chicken wire and killing ducks laying in a pen. That is why many sources say hardware cloth is recommended. If you do not have chicken wire, I also heard about a duck who apparently freaked out during a storm and accidentally killed itself by hitting a wall really hard. If it doesn’t appear a predator got in, it’s possible she died one of these ways.

Ok then I rest my case! I know they are supposed to be good but I hate them. I walked up on one killing one of my ducks! I stopped leaving the pen door open during the day. That's what happened when I lost my litttle one last year.

Back
Top Bottom