Lost A Good Girl!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thudson, Feb 27, 2014.

1. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    Well today I had to make a hard decision, I had to have one of my girls put down. My Black Australorp hen named Twister died today. She was found in our coop a few days ago not able to walk. I wasn't sure what the problem was so I went over everything from an infection to broke legs but nothing could be found. Finally after these long sleepless nights it was determined she had a spinal injury and would not recover. So it is a sad truth I had to say goodbye to my friend. God knows I hate that but she needed to suffer no more. My heart truly aches for my girl!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry your hen was injured and had to be put out of her misery. I know those decisions are hard to make, but quality of life has to be considered. Despite all the joy our chickens bring, we have to bear some pretty tough choices, too.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    So sorry for your loss. It's always hard, even when you know it's for the best. [​IMG]

4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    So sorry for your loss. Sometimes the hardest things we do for our feathered friends, such as freeing them from pain and suffering is also the most loving thing we can do. I hope your heart heals soon.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm very sorry. [​IMG] Its always so hard to say goodbye to one of our babies.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose one of your feathered friends. [​IMG]

I hope your heart can heal soon.

7. So so sorry [​IMG] It is heartbreaking to lose a feathered friend [​IMG] I am sure she knew you loved her.

8. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and support. It has been a few days since I was here, but starting to get in the groove again. I just had to go over my coop and make sure I found what caused the injury to my hen. Think I found the problem and will fix shortly. Thanks again everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by