Lost a hen, need help with determining cause

BakersBluffFarm

Yooper in the coop
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
I have a Rhode island red that hadn't been doing too well the past 3 days, and she just passed this morning. She was favoring a leg so she was brought inside to check on it, and then died 3 days later. No issue with leg, not broken or anything, she was just extremely lethargic and underweight, breast bone protruding and no breast meat. Would barely eat her food or treats. Not egg bound. Comb was a normal color. Poop was runny and white, and she didn't lay any eggs. She threw up a clearish milky mucus right before going through death throws and dying.
What could have caused this? I don't suspect poisoning as that wouldn't have caused the weight loss. Worms maybe? I went around and checked all of my other chickens and they doing very well, heavy, seemingly healthy and are very upset when picked up.

I'm so sorry for your loss...

To me, it sounds like something internal, like a reproductive disorder or cancer. Favoring a leg can be a sign of general pain. The liquid from her beak leads me to suspect her crop or gizzard was impacted somehow, maybe by inflammation from infection. She had symptoms exactly like my Australorp who died of salpingitis. Only way to know for sure is through necropsy.

Sorry for your loss. How old was she? How long ago had she stopped laying? I tend to agree with @Aunt Angus in that she may have had an issue with a reproductive issue or cancer. Those are very common in hens over 2 years. The best way to know what was wrong would be to open her up, or have the state vet perform a necropsy to look for a cause of death. If you do it, take pictures of organs to post here for opinions. When I have witnessed a chicken dying, they all seem to have crop contents come out of the beak. But there also could have been a crop disorder that caused her weight loss and death. I am no expert on necropsies or chickens, but you will learn a lot if you do a necropsy.

I have a Rhode island red that hadn't been doing too well the past 3 days, and she just passed this morning. She was favoring a leg so she was brought inside to check on it, and then died 3 days later. No issue with leg, not broken or anything, she was just extremely lethargic and underweight, breast bone protruding and no breast meat. Would barely eat her food or treats. Not egg bound. Comb was a normal color. Poop was runny and white, and she didn't lay any eggs. She threw up a clearish milky mucus right before going through death throws and dying.
What could have caused this? I don't suspect poisoning as that wouldn't have caused the weight loss. Worms maybe? I went around and checked all of my other chickens and they doing very well, heavy, seemingly healthy and are very upset when picked up.

I should also say she was not having any issues breathing and I have not checked her internally yet
I'm sorry about your hen.

Hopefully you'll be able to get more info through necropsy.

Here is a good picture of organs:
1667758709267.jpeg

Here is a good video of the organs:

Back
Top Bottom