Lost a hen tonight...

Emergency CPR: While holding the chicken with one arm, give gentle but firm, pats to the chest/crop area, with your other hand, with same hand hold open the beak, blow soft puffs of air into the mouth, alternate pats to chest and puffs of air, to revive it.
(If the chicken is regurgitating from a crop issue, let her do it. As, they can regurgitate the crop contents automatically. The chicken may cough or sneeze to clear the throat and nostrils of any fluid.)

It will be touch and go, and you will have to stay with it, and not panic. Use your best judgement. It's not always possible to revive them when this happens, but it least it will give them a chance.

1. Continually re-access the chicken's breathing. They may close their eyes, they may still be open beak breathing. But, if color is returning, and the beak is only slightly open, they are recovering.

2. Keep the chicken upright and continur holding, and monitoring.

3. Keep talking to the chicken, and patting or gently rubbing the crop, till it recovers. At this point you can put her into a crate or box, and let her rest, and stabilize.

4. Finally, the best thing to do, is to take the chicken to a vet, for follow up care.

Hen Pen Jem

P.S.
My rooster that recieved CPR, this week, passed away this morning. After being happy, and healthy the last few days, I found him dead on the floor of the coop this morning. He was on his back, wings to his side, and legs stretched straight out. I believe he suffered a devastating heart attack. And, most likely had a minor heart attack on Tuesday, when I saw him staggering and gasping for air. He will not be sent for necropsy, as, he was a most beloved rooster, my friend and companion through out the day. I will grieve deeply, as I miss his crowing in the morning. I always told other keepers, he was my rooster son. Rest in peace, Mr. Frito, I loved you and will always remember you, as "The Famous Mr. Frito".

God Bless :love
So sorry for your loss. May your heart find peace.

What product are you using?
I like the idea of using a ketchup squeeze bottle.
It was permethrin. No brand name I recall. With me having only 4 hens we borrow and share products. And help each other. He rotates birds and usually keeps around 25 chickens and 10 turkeys. Last time I bought wormer it was expensive so we wormed his birds too. I really don’t know the shelf life of wormers. So best to use it up(in my mind)We help each other but for the most part I do my birds by myself.

Emergency CPR: While holding the chicken with one arm, give gentle but firm, pats to the chest/crop area, with your other hand, with same hand hold open the beak, blow soft puffs of air into the mouth, alternate pats to chest and puffs of air, to revive it.
(If the chicken is regurgitating from a crop issue, let her do it. As, they can regurgitate the crop contents automatically. The chicken may cough or sneeze to clear the throat and nostrils of any fluid.)

It will be touch and go, and you will have to stay with it, and not panic. Use your best judgement. It's not always possible to revive them when this happens, but it least it will give them a chance.

1. Continually re-access the chicken's breathing. They may close their eyes, they may still be open beak breathing. But, if color is returning, and the beak is only slightly open, they are recovering.

2. Keep the chicken upright and continur holding, and monitoring.

3. Keep talking to the chicken, and patting or gently rubbing the crop, till it recovers. At this point you can put her into a crate or box, and let her rest, and stabilize.

4. Finally, the best thing to do, is to take the chicken to a vet, for follow up care.

Hen Pen Jem

P.S.
My rooster that recieved CPR, this week, passed away this morning. After being happy, and healthy the last few days, I found him dead on the floor of the coop this morning. He was on his back, wings to his side, and legs stretched straight out. I believe he suffered a devastating heart attack. And, most likely had a minor heart attack on Tuesday, when I saw him staggering and gasping for air. He will not be sent for necropsy, as, he was a most beloved rooster, my friend and companion through out the day. I will grieve deeply, as I miss his crowing in the morning. I always told other keepers, he was my rooster son. Rest in peace, Mr. Frito, I loved you and will always remember you, as "The Famous Mr. Frito".

God Bless :love
So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the technique, too. I can assure you that Mr. Frito is in good company, im sure my Olive is giving him a run for his money.

Back
Top Bottom