Lost a hen =(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thereseiam, Jul 28, 2010.

1. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    Hi all,

My most favorite hen, a chocloate and white Muscovy, was laying dead next to the duck 'pond' (a blue plastic kiddie pool) when I came out to feed yesterday morning. She seemed perfectly fine, there was no obvious trauma, but she was gone. Any ideas as to what might have happened to her? I really like all my ducks, but of course Cocoa was my most favorite--she was not only a wonderful mother, but would waddle over to me when I came out to the duck area as if to say, "What did you bring me?"

Do ducks get egg bound?

Why does it always seem to be our favorites that we lose? I know that figuring out what happened to her won't bring her back, but it might help me to not lose anyone else.

She is survived by two half grown ducklings from her last clutch, and I'm sure hoping that one of those is a hen. Too early to tell just yet.

Therese

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    sorry for your loss. I am unfamiliar, but how long do they normally live? could it just of been old age?

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Could it of been the heat?? I am so very sorry for your loss.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

No idea what might have caused it, hard to guess.

I know how hard it is and how shocking, to find them just.......dead, no sign of a problem or hint of injury. [​IMG]

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    How old was she? Could she have gotten into something she shouldn't have? Were there any marks on her anywhere. I am guessing like chicken ducks could probably get egg bound. I am sorry for your loss.

6. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions. This hen was only an '09 hatch, so she was still very young and age wasn't the issue. I have to think that if she got poisoned somehow that she wouldn't be the only casualty given that I have about 20 ducks all together, and she was the only one I lost. They have free run of a very solid barn/stall situation with a ceiling fan, so I wouldn't think that the heat would have been the issue, though you can bet I'll have a thermometer in there by tomorrow just to make sure.

There were no marks on her at all, and she was not disturbed in any way, it looked as if she just laid down and passed, which leads me back to thinking that she possibly was egg bound. If that's not the cause, I just hope it isn't something that will put my other birds at risk.

Therese

7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Im sorry about your hen [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure ducks get eggbound also, and if its not that maybe a disease/virus? If she's young and has no obvious wounds... also she wouldn't die of heat if there was a pond for her to keep cool?
    I'd deffinitely put some research in it to make sure the rest of your birds are safe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by