Lost a pullet

sherlock11

Hatching
5 Years
May 13, 2014
I went out to the coop this morning only to sadly find one of my pullets dead at the Edge of the fence. it was gruesome as her head was gone and feathers everywhere. I had just integrated 5 pullets with 2 year old hens and one rooster 2 weeks ago. the pullets just started laying eggs this week.I tried to watch them and broke up pecking episodes occasionally. Otherwise they all seemed to be getting along.

Could be, but they are fenced in, so nothing can get at them. What I meant by the edge of the fence was at the far end, closest to where I feed them.

Did you find the head? Chickens usually don't eat entire heads, so if it was them, you'll probably find part of it somewhere. We've had several of our chickens, kill younger chickens, but usually the bodies just have broken necks (still attached) and pecked on bodies.
Is there any ways a predator could have gotten in. Check for any places the fence might not be as secure or are lifted up.

Raccoons and some other horrible predators, will bite off any body part they can reach. Please post on the predator threads to see what they think caused this.

I'm now convinced that a predator I'd getting my chickens. This morning, another little girl and Tons. My 1 yr old hen was missing. All g with my beautiful proud Americana too, Amadeus. I am heartbroken. I DSE no bidinle signs of any way where the coop was entered or the fence. I'm fearful that whatever is getting to them will come back to finish off the four little ones I have left.

Last edited:
My post was riddled with typos. Sorry. Rather upset. What I was trying to say was that I saw no visible signs of any break-ins.throughout my yard where I have a fenced-in dog yard there are a lot of orange chicken feathers one pile at the gate and another almost like a trail to the other gate these must be the feathers of Tina my one year old hen and the one little girl. then out through the side yard into the wooded area I found feathers from my beautiful rooster.I just can't believe he's gone I would get so mad at him because he would pack me everytime I put freshwater in the coop. he was an Americuana and he had the cutest fuzzy cheeks.

My post was riddled with typos. Sorry. Rather upset. What I was trying to say was that I saw no visible signs of any break-ins.throughout my yard where I have a fenced-in dog yard there are a lot of orange chicken feathers one pile at the gate and another almost like a trail to the other gate these must be the feathers of Tina my one year old hen and the one little girl. then out through the side yard into the wooded area I found feathers from my beautiful rooster.I just can't believe he's gone I would get so mad at him because he would pack me everytime I put freshwater in the coop. he was an Americuana and he had the cutest fuzzy cheeks.
Raccoons are horrible predators - for chickens. You didn't say which type of fence or if you close your coop at night. Chain-link is like a ladder to a 'coon. It can scurry up one side and down the other. Digging under any fence is just about a piece of cake for them. -- They are stealthy, strong, vicious and smart. -- Be sure that your chickens are closed in at night -- and set a trap for the predator.

Sorry that you are loosing chickens.
hugs.gif

Sherlock, I am so sorry for your losses.
My birds are locked up tight every night in a coop built like Fort Knox.
I could never rest if my feathered kids were vulnerable to predators.
Get your gun out and wait for that raccoon tonight.
Hope he never gets to eat another chicken again.
Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom