Lost a splay legged chick & would like opinions on why *pics*

fun monitor

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
southern california
I found a little barely day-old chick at a feed store on the bottom of the pile in an aquarium with her legs out to her sides. She was peeping pitifully and I had to have her. I brought her home and made her a band aid splint and she seemed good to go. She was weak for a few days and HATED the splint, but seemed to be improving right before she died. By improving I mean she was eating and pooping regularly and normally, as opposed to my feeding her the previous days.

I took off to visit family last Monday for about 6-7 hours. It had been in the high 80's the day before so I unplugged the heat lamp (ugh, I know) and left all the chicks with just one lamp sort of high up, and the garage door open a bit for ventilation. The crippled chick was in a plastic shoebox by herself (ugh again, but the others pecked at her) on top of the brooder, thus closer to the light. Anyway, when I got home at around 8PM, she was dead
sad.png

I'm struggling with wondering whether she died of something else wrong or if she got too cold. It was 72 in the brooder when I came home, but she was on top and had a little stuffed animal to cuddle up to.

I tried to include links to pictures but I couldn't figure it out. It's been a long time since I've been on a message board!

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
It is very possible the chick was compromised while developing in the egg or suffered other injuries from the chicks stomping on it that you may not see. Either way, you did what you could, and that is all anyone could do.

72 is too low - it may have gotten cold - but it sounds like it just had a yucky start from the beginning and that you did a great job rescuing it
regardless ---

I wanted to post some pictures of the little chick and how I splinted her:

2349964581_d80b134965_m.jpg
2349967571_ceced71a51_m.jpg
2350801872_a938b8638f_m.jpg

Although I realize I let her get too cold, I do think something else was wrong with her. Her crop was always squishy and pushed to the side and she was always thirsty. I did what I could and tried to keep her comfortable.

No matter what actually caused her to die, you were obviously doing everything you could to help her. I know it hurts, but you deserve big hugs for loving her and trying to make her alright.

I do have to add that it wasn't 72 the whole time, it was probably 85 most of the time but 72 when I got home at 8PM. Still, I realize 85 wasn't warm enough either.
sad.png
At least I know what not to do if there is ever a next time.

Thanks for all the sympathy.

Aaaw, now don't beat yourself up!! You did more than anyone at the feedstore would have done for her! She would've surely died there, a lot sooner, I think! At least she had a coupole of nice last days with you!! *Hugs* from NC!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom