Lost another baby!

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
My babies..started out with 13, are just 6 weeks old, and we moved them out to their own yard separate from the ladies, but where they could all see each other. A fox dug in and took 3 away 3 nights ago and last night a coon got another through the wire. We'd done everything we knew to do to protect them, but those coons are sneaky little things! We went to Tractor Supply this morning and bought a hutch, so the remaining 9 are locked inside the hutch inside the yard. We've set a trap for the coon tonight and only time will tell. I'm tired of these sleepless nights worrying about my babies!
sad.png

Predator problems frequently happen at night & chickens are very vulnerable since their night vision is poor & they're sleeping. Can you lock them in a very secure coop at night & let them back out during the day? (That may be your plan w/ the hutch.) Mine free range during the day, but are locked in Fort Knox from dusk 'til dawn. The only problem I've had was when I got home late one night & locked the raccoon inside. Fortunately, I didn't lose any chickens, but he sure made a mess trying to get out! And he wasn't particularly fired up on us helping him out either!

Back
Top Bottom