Lost another chick and do not know what I am doing wrong :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momsflock, Apr 21, 2011.

1. momsflock

momsflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    I picked up my chicks from the feed store on Monday. They are from McMurray. I was soooo excited! One died on Tuesday and one died today. They both were acting funny throwing there heads back, not wanting to walk. Eventually the others would just step on them and peck on them. After loosing the first one, and it started happening to the next one I immediately separated it from the other chick. I gave it water through a syring, but they would not eat. It seemed to perk up by morning, but this afternoon it was dead. [​IMG]

I am brand new at this, and keep reading as much as I can, but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong! [​IMG]

2. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Sometimes it's not anything you did...they may have been not OK when they were hatched. Hopefully the rest of them will be OK!

3. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    I have hatched chicks myself that did the same thing. It is nothing that you have done, it is just something wrong with the chicks.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Sadly, we will often find out there is something wrong internally like this in days 3-7...as the yolk is finally exhausted and the baby isn't able to process nutrients/eat/poop, etc...

I'm sorry for your losses.
    [​IMG]

5. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    :One of my chicks was acting the same way, so I added some sugar to her water, and dipped her beack into it quite a bit, she perked up and was fine. She is alive and well right now.[​IMG] It could be cocidiosis (that is probably spelled wrong). Are you using medicated chick starter, and is there any poop on their buts?? [​IMG] It could just be a bad hatch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] hope [​IMG] the rest will be okay!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by