Lost another duckling last night

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I don't know what is getting them, but that's 3 that I've lost out of 6 of my Snowy Mallard ducklings. It's happening at night when they are locked in the coop. I haven't even found a body so I'm thinking something is eating them. They're with their "Mom"(one of my Black Swedish hen that hatched them). Should I take them away from her and put them in the brooder? They are 2 weeks old.

Snake, maybe? It would be able to get into the coop and wouldn't leave evidence. Poor babies!!!
hugs.gif

As sad as it will be for the mom, I would take the babies inside and keep them safe. She'll cry over them, but then she would do that after the last one was eaten by the snake (or whatever) too, and the babies would be gone for good.

I'm sorry that's happening. It must be heart-breaking.
sad.png

A duck mama is not in a "coma" at night like a chicken is. They are literally sitting ducks at night
sad.png
the hen cannot protect them or even squawk.

Definitely get them in the house, bring the hen too
big_smile.png
you will lose them all if you don't
sad.png

I'm moving them to the brooder. I just hate to take them away from their Mom, but i don't want to lose another duckling. I hope that their is at least 1 drake in the 3 as so far I've only gotten hens. My luck they are all hens. This has been a bad day. First, the A/C blower went out and it's 97 today and they can't fix it till tomorrw and then I found I lost a duckling.

Back
Top Bottom