Lost another one

MenachemEliyahu

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Florida
I lost another chick today to the hens. It’s the fifth day since they were unintentionally integrated with two hens. I thought for the most part it was going well, but apparently not.

I just ordered pinless peepers for the hens and it should come in tomorrow. I figure it would be easier to catch the hens rather than the chicks.

I lost another chick today to the hens. It’s the fifth day since they were unintentionally integrated with two hens. I thought for the most part it was going well, but apparently not.

I just ordered pinless peepers for the hens and it should come in tomorrow. I figure it would be easier to catch the hens rather than the chicks.
you should never put chicks in with adult hens or even pullets, unless they are raised by a broody, then the hen should protect them most of the time. I would seperate the chicks immediately

you should never put chicks in with adult hens or even pullets, unless they are raised by a broody, then the hen should protect them most of the time. I would seperate the chicks immediately
There was already a conversation concerning the chicks escaping into the run.

Unintended Integration

It would be more stressful for the entire flock if I were to go after the chicks rather than the hens.

Good news, apparently I don’t look like a leghorn so I was able to snatch the remaining chicks while I tried to snag a hen. The brooder has been patched up and they’re back in it. I hope that in 3 weeks that they’ll be ready to be integrated with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom