Lost baby chick. :( *UPDATE - Chick FOUND!*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amyh, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My broody hen is raising 4 chicks and one of them is gone. I left home at about 10am this morning and my husband got home at around 9pm tonight. I am out of town for the night. Broody mama was in the coop sitting on 3 chicks. One is missing and my husband can't find it. [​IMG] Lows tonight are 70 degrees. The chick is around one week old. If it is out in the yard somewhere and doesn't get eaten by a predator, what are the chances it might survive the night? I'm so upset.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    *hugs* I wish I knew... [​IMG] I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little one!

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    They are pretty strong, and will surprise you. Let mama out early, and go thru the yard making mama chicken noises, if he's still alive, he will come running. Good luck!!

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Well... what happened? Any sign of him?

5. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I won't be home until later. I will scour the yard when I get home though. [​IMG]

6. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My husband opened the door at 7am, so maybe mama found her baby..... (crossing fingers)

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    After a couple decades of this, I've come to accept that it's normal to lose a percentage that varies with the seasons and conditions.

8. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I find even though their very small can be resistant have faith may be back today or tom..keep looking and praying...

9. Orangina

Orangina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Aww, so hard not being able to do anything about it. [​IMG] I experienced a similar situation and was able to find the chick the next day, so good luck to you and keep us posted. [​IMG]

10. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    When I got home, mama and FOUR baby chicks ran to the driveway! I am so thankful that the chick survived the night, especially because it is my daughter's favorite!! Praise God!!

I am so thankful my husband walked our dogs last night instead of letting them go out in the yard. My beagle is a terrible chicken killer and we have to supervise her at all times, but usually after dark, we let her roam the yard freely.

I'm so happy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by