Lost chicken rescue...quarantine/worm/DE advice??

Chicken Mama 6

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Western MA
A friend of mine had a chicken wander into her yard during the awful storm(yes 27"of snow in October!
rant.gif
) we had recently. My friend lives in a very residential area and can not keep the chicken, so I have agreed to take it. I have an extra large dog crate that I plan to use to quarantine the chicken in. I will keep the crate in my basement. Any other advice??? Should I dust it with some DE just in case? This is my first rescue, I have 6 very spoiled girls who I do not want to get sick. How long should I quarantine? The chicken is (I think) a white leghorn hen, it looks a little thin and battered, but it is friendly and eating all the treats my friend is giving it. It has been living in a bush in front of her house:)

I isolate them for 3 or 4 wks, bathe & dip them, deworm with Safetguard (fenbendazole) & then repeat the worming 10 days later. Make sure you wash your hands well and change shoes before you do anything with your girls. And in the mornings, take care of your girls 1st, then the new one.

The new girl just arrived. She is small but sweet, appears to be free of mites or lice that I can see. She got a nice dusting of DE, a bowl full of food and some water. I will worm her tomorrow, didn't want to traumatize her to much on her first day here. (I already poked and prodded her looking for bugs and dusting her. How rude of me!) Now we are letting her settle in while the kids come up with a name for her. I think she has a little frost bite on her comb (black spot) is there anything I can do for her or will it just stay black? She is in the nice somewhat warm basement now.
smile.png

Looked up pictures of fowl pox, looks nothing like that. She just has a small black dot on the tip of her comb...I really think it is frostbite. She lived in my friends yard for almost a month, including through a huge storm with 27" of snow. I could be wrong but I will do some more research. Thanks though!

Did your friend try to find the owner? They might be an urban backyard chicken farmer who is worried about their girl...I know I would be...

My friend did try. She asked all her neighbors. The chicken lived in her yard for over a month. She was very underweight when she came to my house. I am happy to report she is doing great! She is eating great and has been wormed. She has really perked up. My kids have named her Matilda. Hopefully she will love her new forever home
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom