joojy

Songster
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
bloomington indiana
sad.png
:mad:
Hi,

I am new today. I need someone to talk to about my chickens. We had 2 hens and a beautiful rooster, a rhode island red. He mated with the buff orpington and they had 11 chicks.
I had a special $800.00 pen built for them. We gave 6 chicks to a friend. Went out of town with the family for 10 days leaving my 20 year old son in charge. A week ago he calls me, the 4 chicks are gone, but he did not let them out. no sign of them and no feathers. He thought some one stole them.
The day we come home, I have one freaked out hen left. My son swore that he saw the rooster and other hen earlier that day, well, this morning I found what was left of them, feathers and 2 feet. I am sick. I loved those chickens.
Normally my dog, a very laid back lab would have been home, but the son let it run off and the pound picked it up. So now I am putting the dog in the fenced area with the lone chicken. Should I get her friend? Do I dare? The hen is so upset to be locked up all the time.
This morning we also found a ripped up squirrel in the yard, so something is out there. Can I ask the lady we gave the chicks to if we can get 1 back, or is that too tacky. She has had them a month. thanks sick in Indiana

First, I am sorry about the loss of your chickens. I know how heart breaking it is. I wouldn't ask her for a chicken back. They are hers now. I would, however, get some more for your lone chicken. Just be sure to quarantine any new chickens and also to work them in with her slowly. Oh, and predator proof their enclosure or you will lose more. Pretty much everything eats chickens. Good luck.

I'm sorry for your losses...I don't think putting a Lab in with the chicken would be a good thing...
If you find feet and feathers , it's probably a bird of prey...
A covering over the top will help.

I am wondering where you live and what type of predators you might have. I would think fisher because they can go up a tree after a squirrel and i have heard they do. What a horrible time he put you through
sad.png

I think you should be sure they are safe before you get anymore. Maybe set up a trap
idunno.gif

Sorry for your loss.

I live in Indiana. I was mad when the coop was built because there were some small gaps, but when the chicks got bigger, they could not fit through them, so I was not worried.
The top is covered with a metal roof. then inside the penned area is a small coop, unfortunately the dog thought the coop looked good, so he climbed in and slept there, at 120 pounds, he ripped all the netting out of the 1 side.
The dog was afraid of the rooster, and not interested in the hen at all. I think she is safer with him nearby.
So I introduce the hens slowly, how slowly? thanks

Hi, and welcome to BYC. I am so sorry your first post is about a loss. It never gets easy to lose one...or more. Where in Indiana are you? I have 2 buff pullets, one might be a cockerell...they are about 10 weeks old. I also have a few others, I could make ya a deal on. I am in Jennings County..let me know.

I say put the "responsible" 20 year old in the coop to watch her til you can get your coop fixed and new birds introduced. A month or 2 should do it.

I cannot figure out how to post a new topic.
My 1 and a half year old black sex link hen, will not move 1 wing, and is limping. I took her to the vet and he found no marks. Has she had a stroke? What should I do? It has been 2 weeks and we kept her in, hoping she would get better.

Also we have 2 little bantoms, do they need to be in the garage in winter?
Thanks

HI Welcome to byc.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but have you had chickens before? If not, can I suggest going to the book store and getting an everything chickens book, and read thru it, proof your coop and run before you do anything else.

As for the remaining birds you have left, Yes, put them in the garage until you have a SECURE coop and run. No gaps, no holes. Only air vent at the top. Use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire.

As soon as you have that done, then put the chickens in the new coop, and slowly introduce new birds. I'd get chicks 10 weeks to 12 weeks old. That way they are old enough to move it, and less likely to get hen pecked so bad in the pecking order cuz your adult hen will already be queen of the coop and they will know it.

Sorry about your losses. Put that 20yr old kid of yours to work making sure that the coop is properly complete this time.

Good luck!
hugs.gif

So sorry for your loss.
sad.png
I think a lot of us have been there. What stuck out in my mind is that your dog was able to get in so easily. I've learned that anything less then 2 layers of wire is asking to feed the wildlife. I have chicken wire, welded wire, and then 3 strands of hotwire around it. First year I raised chickens I got wiped out. They were getting taken so fast I couldnt secure the coop fast enough (feral dogs, coyotes, fox, Hawks, and this year Mr. Bear..) Lost 45 birds, and almost gave up. Couldn't find any chicks that time of year and didn't want to incubate in winter so I waited and finally rebuild all my coops before I rebuilt the flock.

Back
Top Bottom