1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost Cricket - eggbound. It's been a bad morning.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by spookyevilone, Jan 31, 2009.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Cricket the Confused Button Quail was found dead in her cage this morning. Cause of death was obvious eggbinding - egg was visible but so huge it had forced her legs to the sides. I tried to work it out but it was lodged tight against her hip bones. She was fine last night, I had her out to play with her. The two silvers she was in with kicked up a fuss at 6am, before the lights were on, and I went in to see why they were screaming and found her. After I took her poor little body out, the boys wouldn't stop calling and running around looking for her [​IMG]

I put the white button from the December swap in with them. I think it's a hen, but I'm not sure. The boys settled down and I caught all three of them snuggling a little bit ago, so apparently there's no angst or fighting going on.

Blue's hen apparently got sick of brooding her 2 week old chicks last night. I found one dead, one mostly dead that subsequently died, and three cold and miserable babies. They've been moved to the brooder and seem to be doing fine now. No clue what caused the hen to go crazy, but she's even running away from Blue. Blue was apparently trying to keep the babies warm, but the hen was so psychotic she kept making him run and the babies didn't have time to settle. I think next time I'll let her hatch 'em and then take them away and put them in the brooder. If Blue wasn't so attached to her, I'd swap her out for another bird.

I have eggs from Cricket - the debate this morning was whether or not to hatch them. They were in the pile to go out to the egg train people. I decided against hatching them, because by not hatching them, I have room for one more of JustHatchin's babies and new bloodlines are a good thing. So two people will get Cricket's eggs, and I hope they take after their mostly tame mama bird.

Bad morning. Though in more upbeat news, I put my white Coturnix hen in with my Serama roo. They seem to be getting along fine so far. T'Oliver needed company and the pair of Coturnix Chicken (name of white) was in with didn't like the interloper, so now he's got a buddy and she's in with someone who isn't picking on her. Yay for that.
    -Spooky

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I am sorry for your loss

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, that stinks [​IMG] Hope things get better for you.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry. Seems such a senseless/thoughtless world all too often. Poor Cricket, poor babies. [​IMG]
    JJ

6. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    Sorry you lost your hen to egg binding. I have had that happen in the past but not since I started using a liquid calcium supplement for them. Since they lay so much they definitely benefit from extra calcium. As far as your chicks go, most people I know remove the dad once the chicks hatch as most Button dads are not good with chicks. He may have done something to them and she was trying to protect them. If I were you I would remove him next time and see if she does better brooding them on her own. I have had a few hens even that wanted the male out once they started sitting. I always keep my mom Buttons alone with the babies and never have had a mom reject them. Good luck next time!

7. swdunn0926

swdunn0926 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Fayetteville
    You can rub your hens vents with warm olive oil to help with egg binding, I used to raise button quail and I found out that this works very very well. You can do it every other day and it will keep her vent well flexable.

8. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Thanks, but it wasn't Blue that hurt them. Both my little roos have been the best babydaddies ever. It's the hens that are psychotic. Blue's hen just decided she wanted nothing more to do with the chicks and went spazzy. Blue helped brood them and would frequently stand there patiently letting the babies snuggle under him.

This was the hen's first clutch, so she may just not be used to having chicks yet. My other pair, Robin and his hen, raised their clutch perfectly and Robin was the absolute ideal father bird.
    -Spooky

9. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    Lucky you to have good dads!! That is not usually the norm and most people find out the hard way. I just automatically remove them now as I even had one dad who was good for about a week and then went on the attack. Hang onto those dads!!

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by