Lost Eggs In Mail...help!

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
Last Tuesday I shipped some cochin eggs to California. I sent the buyer the tracking number. I didn't hear anything else so I thought it was all good. Well, I get an email tonight that she's still not received the eggs.

The tracking number is: 9101785091401435681977

When I checked, it says:

Label/Receipt Number: 9101 7850 9140 1435 6819 77
Class: Priority Mail
00ae.png

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 9, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I signed up for email tracking and it says:

Current Track & Confirm e-mail information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Label Number: 0178 5091 4014 3568 1977

Service Type: Priority Mail Delivery Confirmation

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Electronic Shipping OKANOGAN WA 98840 03/09/10 3:13am
Info Received
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USPS has not verified the validity of any email addresses submitted via its
online Track & Confirm tool.

So where are they? I paid for Priority shipping--is there a way to get a refund from them so I can ship out "fresh" eggs?

Thanks,

~Heather~

I am not any sort of final authority on this, but I do have a lot of experience with the mail. The USPS tracking will not tell you where it is when like UPS or Fed Ex tracking does. It only says the information was received, Never acknowledges that it received the package and does not add any other information until it is actually delivered. Also I do not think you are able to get a refund on the postage or the package unless you insured it. Even then you will not get a refund for a few weeks at best. Priority mail usually takes 3 days to be delivered, It is not guaranteed to be delivered in three days, in fact it is not guaranteed to be delivered in any amount of time. I have had packages I paid for over night delivery that did not get delivered for two days, I was not given a refund. As far as I can tell USPS sees it as you needed to get it there and chose to use them to get it there, but they are under no obligation to live up to your expectations. Had you needed better service you could have delivered it yourself. In my experience one of two things have happened to your package. it either got damaged and made a mess which most likely ended up with it being thrown away, or it got detoured to some place like Alaska and will be delivered in about another week. or it got damaged and is being brought back to you via Parcel post and you will see it in about a month. At this point you do know that even if the eggs get delivered tomorrow it is to late for those eggs. I realize that most sellers of eggs do not accept responsibility for the eggs once they leave their hands. they do not accept responsibility for damage or harm to the eggs caused by handling by shippers, and they do not accept responsibility for success of incubation. In one case the seller has it on their web sight that they guarantee a rooster was with the hens and that they carefully packed the eggs and that is it. You may be at a poiint you have to decide just what your guarantees are.

this samething happened to me last week... it took 16 days, and i finally got the eggs, but by that time, the shipper had already send new eggs, and they had been in my bator for 6 days , when i received the LOST eggs....the post office said, not our fault.... everything on the shipping lable was right, so...whos fault is it... the shipper had t pay for new shipping, i think.

Yes, the USPA tracking is worthless. You can't find out where the package is till it has been delivered. Not promptly like UPS does. They might not notify till the next day that it was delivered.

The 2-3 day delivery for priority mail is another joke, I've had package from Wisconsin (about 350 miles) take 9 days. The seller sent me replacements and they arrived the same day. Where the devil the package was all that time is beyond me. One person in INdiana used to send me packages frequently, they took ONE day to reach me. When I sent box to him the post office said it would be 2 or 3 days. I told them everytime before it had taken only ONE day. They said that wasn't possible. Some"goof off," must have taken his job seriously and processed the mail the way it is supposed to be handled.

They keep raising the rates and service is worse. Too bad packages can't be emailed.

And now USPS does not even guarantee the Express (Overnight) for Live Birds, they allow themselves 3 days, but you still have to pay for Express
th.gif

I hate to say it but I think USPS is on it's way out

I should have received a package of eggs yesterday, I hope they get here tomorrow. They shipped Thursday and of course Confirmation number just tells me they were accepted.
he.gif

The same thing happened to me, too. On March 1st AHappyChick sent me eggs that hadn't come by Monday the 8th, so she (good person that she is) sent me another batch that day. They BOTH came on Thursday the 11th. The PO said it wasn't their fault, even though the first package was insured.

I've received packages that were never scanned- if you try to track them it just says "shipping info received". What's the point in giving us a number?
rant.gif

Sorry that happened. I'd LOVE to get eggs from you- but I know they'd never get here intact.

Last edited:
Quote:
I just sent a batch to FL a few weeks ago...they all made it and all but one is developing.
smile.png

Oh that's awesome! I think (here) it has something to do with the Nashville to Chattanooga leg of the trip. I can barely get eggs from the next state to make it unscrambled
sad.png
I hope it goes better for the ones I'm shipping out!

Back
Top Bottom