Help!! My chickens are lost in the mail!

katmvincent

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Hello! I ordered three coop-ready pullets from Illinois, I am in south Louisiana. The chickens shipped Monday afternoon and were scheduled to be deliviered yesterday at 6:00 pm. The tracking information has not been updated in the USPS system since they departed the post office Monday afternoon. I've reached out for help through the postal service and all they were able to tell me is they do not know where the chickens currently are. Can someone tell me how long can chickens survive while being shipped? I am so sick at the thought they might die in transit. Any thoughts?

Hello! I ordered three coop-ready pullets from Illinois, I am in south Louisiana. The chickens shipped Monday afternoon and were scheduled to be deliviered yesterday at 6:00 pm. The tracking information has not been updated in the USPS system since they departed the post office Monday afternoon. I've reached out for help through the postal service and all they were able to tell me is they do not know where the chickens currently are. Can someone tell me how long can chickens survive while being shipped? I am so sick at the thought they might die in transit. Any thoughts?
3-5 days at most would be my guess.

Have you physically gone to the post office and checked on them, or talked to someone at the PO they were supposed to end up at? my PO is so busy, they just don't answer the phone a lot. I got a call and a tracking update on my last chick order, but by the time we got it, hubby had already driven over, assuming chicks were there. The first order, no tracking the whole time or notifications, we just showed up on the day they should come, and there they were. Figured if they weren't there, we'd try back the next day and the one after until the birds showed up.

Sorry you're going through this. Until the PO gets their stuff sorted out there's really nothing you can do. This is the risk of shipping animals in the mail. Sometimes they reroute them so they don't ship on planes with hazardous materials or something - it's in the regulations that they can do that.

Hope it turns out all right!

Have you physically gone to the post office and checked on them, or talked to someone at the PO they were supposed to end up at? my PO is so busy, they just don't answer the phone a lot. I got a call and a tracking update on my last chick order, but by the time we got it, hubby had already driven over, assuming chicks were there. The first order, no tracking the whole time or notifications, we just showed up on the day they should come, and there they were. Figured if they weren't there, we'd try back the next day and the one after until the birds showed up.

Sorry you're going through this. Until the PO gets their stuff sorted out there's really nothing you can do. This is the risk of shipping animals in the mail. Sometimes they reroute them so they don't ship on planes with hazardous materials or something - it's in the regulations that they can do that.

Hope it turns out all right!
I’ve been to my local post office today. They told me live animals take priority but they have not had any live animal deliveries recently.

They'll likely be there today, they move faster than the tracking.
You can go down to your po and see if they can do anything.
I just left my local post office with no luck. She said live animals arrive to their location around 5:00 am so hopefully tomorrow.

When I've bought adult birds they all shipped overnight. They should have been delivered first thing Tuesday morning. You pay super crazy to ship overnight for a reason.
Where's the hatchery in this?

When I've bought adult birds they all shipped overnight. They should have been delivered first thing Tuesday morning. You pay super crazy to ship overnight for a reason.
Where's the hatchery in this?
The hatchery has been communicating with me, as well as with their local post office. I actually just got off of a call with vehicle transport division of USPS for the state of Louisiana. She basically said since USPS did not scan the package once it arrived at their central distribution center there is just no way to know where they might have been sent.

Boxes not getting scanned is pretty common. I typically receive my chicks before they show that they have been received at the Denver distribution center. Scanned or not they should be directed to the correct PO so long as the zip code on the box is correct.

Back
Top Bottom