Lost Feathers not coming back

jtbuck

Songster
14 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Florahome
My Flock is made up of all Rhode Island Reds(1 Rooster 35 Hens). The problem the Roo is alot bigger than the hens (all same age) and in the mating process some of the girls lost some to alot of feathers. I have removed him(to his private pen,which I don't like and sure he doesn't) but haven't noticed any new feather growth.Do they have to go thru molt or should I do something?????

They should handle the feather loss pretty well. It'll take time for regrowth. I've got a barred rock that's totally naked on her chest (broody?) but she's doing fine and it's been like that since Feb. Good luck

Have they had their laying effected by this?
My Brown Leghorn had most of her tail and a bunch of her back feathers torn out by a neighbor cat this month and she stopped laying.
I was told early on that while producing feathers (molt) they would require extra protein (cat food) to keep them laying during this excess of bodily action. I haven't given her cat food yet but I am curious whether it would have an effect.

They are still laying, not all lost feathers. I was worried about the biting flys getting them but I guess they would probably eat the flys first.
As to the cat food, is there a certain kind ??? I guess I will have to find my Roo a home and not worry about raising any more................

hi, i have the same thing with some of my hens. it seems the roosters re-breed the most submissive hens over and over till all the feathers on back gone. i have had some get open wounds from the roosters spurs. some feathers may grow back now but in most cases they will not have feathers until they go through a molt. i like having a rooster around but this comes with having one. i have considered never having one agin just because of this. hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom