Lost Ferdinand today and then I was told I don't care about my Chickens!

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I lost my beoved Ferdinand today. He was very sick and I treated him with both Coccidiostats and with Antibiotics. I fed him scrambled eggs and brought him fresh clover every day.

This morning he died in my arms after a 14 day battle with his mystery illness. 3 days ago he stopped eating and drinking and I did everything I could for him.

Then to make things just that much better i was told by the woman I'm currently staying with that I must not care about my chickens! She told me that since I KILLED Ferdinand that I just must not care about my chickens or love them at all!

That for me is more than an insult, it is an attack on my character! It broke my heart to hear that anyone could think I didn't love my chickens! I can't even express in words how hurt and angry I feel right now. I killed him! How could she even think that!

I suppose she just didn't notice how hard I was crying while I burried him on the hill behind the house. i even left flowers for him.

I have decided to move out after hearing her say this. I can't live with someone who thinks that about me. She also said a few other things to me today that I won't repeat. They were also equally as insulting!

Please reassure me of something. I do love my chickens, right?

tell her that #1. its none of her business. #2. Would she say that someone that put their terminally ill dog or cat down that it means that they don't love them? Obviously not!

You went far above what most people would do for a chicken. Keep that in mind because people like her... they just don't deserve to make comments at all.

PLEASE PLEASE believe that you DO love your chickens Very much.

Some people think that they know everything about Everyone...Ive been thru it a few times and God knows how sad and upset I can get when people say things about me or whatever..

Im very Sensitive and it sounds like you are a bit like me..I understand the things you did...Ive done it a few times, and it doesnt get any easier.

You DO love your babies...

Im very sure that there are quite a few people on this site that feel Just like you do..and do the same thing as you did.

We all cant be wrong then, when we say that we love our chickens..

Thoughts are with you..ok?
hugs.gif
smile.png

She feels it is her buisiness because I'm working for her. Itis, however, not her buisiness at all.

My mom has already told me I can stay with her until I find another job and get an apartment or smaller house to rent.

Talk about kicking someone when they are down! Sheesh! It sounds like your roommate is a heartless (insert unkind words here). Of course you love your chickens. Don't blame yourself for anything. You tried your hardest. I would question the maturity of your roomie. I hope your mom likes chickens!

It is very obvious that you love your chickens and that they are your friends. You ARE a good chicken momma and I'm sure ferdinand knew that you loved him very much! Do not let this lady tell you otherwise!

Talk about kicking someone when they are down! Sheesh! It sounds like your roommate is a heartless (insert unkind words here). Of course you love your chickens. Don't blame yourself for anything. You tried your hardest. I would question the maturity of your roomie. I hope your mom likes chickens!
Exactly, she's kicking you while you are down. It wouldn't matter if it was about chickens, or an ailing relative, she would have used the opportunity to exert her power over you. She sounds super nasty and undermining. Get away! Your mum is right. You protect your grief for your beautiful roo, and don't talk about your chickens with that horrible woman ever again.

People say strange things when confronted with death. I'd talk with your room mate and tell her how her words made you feel. Be diplomatic. Chances are this person had the same thing said to her when she experienced death of a pet or family, and might not know how to express feelings of compassion.

And don't feel bad you could not save your chicken. Things go wrong, and veterinary medicine is very limited when it comes to poultry. Grieve as much as you need to and don't feel guilty. Your beloved pet gave you much joy and deserves your tears now he is gone.

Last edited:
The thing that bothers me most about that is that she hassaid things like this to me twice before now. She'll be perfectly fine and dandy and easy to get along with and then suddenly will see something that sets her off.

I will also add that she's not my Roomy, but rather my Employer. I am living at her place and working as a ranch hand.

Moving out means quitting my job and leaving the ranch. not sure I need the money all too badly, though.

People are, at times, cruel. Working as a ranch hand is tough. You get treated like dirt. What you do is up to you. I can't tell you what is right for you. Remember, you will meet people like this all your life. I do know grieving over the death of your chicken is not something to be ashamed of.

Back
Top Bottom